Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Worn out my pads and my rotors. Any brand you'd recommend me to buy or avoid when replacing them?

This will be the first time I do this, do I need to buy new brake pad sensors as well? Anything else?

Thanks!
VD-CH

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
It is very difficult to reuse sensors. They are plastic and become brittle. Think of how hot the brake system can get sometimes. The heat stresses the plastic. Then, brake dust and dirt work around and totally surround the sensors. So, we now have brittle plastic sensors that get cemented into the metal brake system.

TLDR: The sensors tend to break apart when you remove them.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Brembo discs and Pagid pads were OEM.

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Anyone know of Nitrided rotors? AC Delco used to advertise heat treat and Nitrided rotors. There's also a company that makes the best iron (steel) based rotors money can buy. But they are super expensive.

I've had good luck with the front rotors from ID auto parts that I put on (painted them with silver header paint). Not sure how long they will last but so far I have 18K miles on them and pretty happy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been searching everywhere on the forum and I cannot find a definitive answer to the rotor and pad size for the '04 V10...

Any help?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Been searching everywhere on the forum and I cannot find a definitive answer to the rotor and pad size for the '04 V10...

Any help?
Don't you have dealers or part suppliers over there that you can call to get information or a parts quote based on your specific VIN?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Don't forget there is a pair of parking brake shoes inside the drum that is a part of each rear disc.

These may need replacing too.

I would order them on a sale or return basis so they are to hand if needed but it's something you can only decide upon when you have removed the old discs and can inspect the shoes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I just got new Zimmerman rotor and pads put on my V8 TDi today.

They are a premium brake to the standard OEMs, so hopefully they will perform better than the original OEM brakes, and justify the extra cost.

FYI, I found the following site that provided part numbers for the above brakes. Just go to "My Garage" and enter your vehicle and then go to brakes and use the filters on the left.

I used their part numbers to cross check what the brake place was putting on (checked it against the 600.xxxx.xx part number) and they matched. :)

https://runautoparts.com.au

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good point - didn't think of that. Thanks for the tip @noobytoogy!

Don't forget there is a pair of parking brake shoes inside the drum that is a part of each rear disc.

These may need replacing too.

I would order them on a sale or return basis so they are to hand if needed but it's something you can only decide upon when you have removed the old discs and can inspect the shoes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll give that a try but I doubt my Swiss VIN will work on an Australian website!!

I just got new Zimmerman rotor and pads put on my V8 TDi today.

They are a premium brake to the standard OEMs, so hopefully they will perform better than the original OEM brakes, and justify the extra cost.

FYI, I found the following site that provided part numbers for the above brakes. Just go to "My Garage" and enter your vehicle and then go to brakes and use the filters on the left.

I used their part numbers to cross check what the brake place was putting on (checked it against the 600.xxxx.xx part number) and they matched. :)

https://runautoparts.com.au

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'll give that a try but I doubt my Swiss VIN will work on an Australian website!!
Don't need your vin, just your select your model, year and engine under "My Garage".

Changed "My Garage" to what yours is and it showed up the relevant Zimmerman, Pagid and Meyle.

Filtered on: "vw touareg (2004 - 2010) 5.0 v10 tdi 7la, 7l6, 7l7, mk1 4921cc 230kW suv"

Parts should be the same, unless they put different parts for same year and engine down under.

If you are not interested in those brands, then ignore my post.

PS. It was suggested as a reference to check for part numbers.

I realize you wont buy from our store in Aust, but they were spot on part number wise to what the brake place ordered and supplied, so they could be used as a reference, as there are part numbers floating around on the web, on ebay and other part stores.:frown2:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the stupid question but bear in mind it's my first time replacing the brakes on a car...

What should I do to immobilize the car when replacing the brakes?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts