Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
27K miles check brake pad warning light comes on and dealer says its time for new pads as well as brake rotors. I was pretty shocked about needing new rotors but without being able to measure the wear myself I had to go with dealer suggestion. I ordered the parts online which saved me over $200 from dealer cost and they didnt stock the parts anyway. Here are some photos of oem pads and rotors for refrence. The pads as you can see are shot, though I must say you do have alot of pad left once the warning light comes on, so dont panic if you cant get them replaced straight away. The rotors are worn (you can see the original surface material on edges of rotor) but I do not have a micrometor to measure the material lost, so I am not sure how much life is left in them. Its seems new auto rotors are throw away items which dont last too long on heavy weight suvs. If anyone is getting ready to relpace brake parts remember to order the brakepad sensor, its the little round part on the pad with the wire attached, the dealer forgot to put that part in original estimate. See photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and info...

1. You're only talking about front discs and pads right?
2. If its all four 200 sounds rather reasonable for new everything...
3. Did you have any options for upgraded / ceramic/ slotted/drilled components?
4. I've been called frugall (cheap) by many, but there looks to be quite a lot of material left on those discs... you can get a mic for almost nothing, a digital one for under $40 - it might save you money in the long run - then again your dealer should be able to tell you the measurment if indeed they did check them (not assuming, only cautioning) I've had mechanics tell me they needed new discs and when I checked they got a call and some stern words - I think they'd rather replace, make a few bucks on the part and install and not have to deal with any legal issues.

Thanks again - in the future if you carriage return (hit enter) after inserting the pictures ( I think you could edit the post and help us out) it makes posts like this easier to read for those who don't have stupidly wide resolutions on our monitors..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff,
1. yes front brake pads and rotors, NOT rear.
2. cost of parts bought via internet: $132.26 pads total, $100.50 x 2
for rotors , so total parts = $333.26, does not include brake pad
sensors, dealer gave me these since they left them off original
estimate.
3. I did not look into aftermarket options, but I am not even sure
there are any, I bought VW OEM parts.
4. Yes I need to buy a mic so I can measure myself. The dealer said
the rotors are worn to the factory limit, but I can only go on their
word for now. I was shocked they said rotors are shot, I am sure
you could go longer with them, but I figured since I was buying
parts online and paying dealer for labor I should get new ones.

sorry about photos, I am new here and could not figure out how to post multiple photos at one time so i put them in photoshop first.

·
Registered
205 Posts
nyc_moto said:
1. yes front brake pads and rotors, NOT rear.
Ahh well I was happy for a few minutes - :)
nyc_moto said:
2. cost of parts bought via internet: $132.26 pads total, $100.50 x 2
for rotors , so total parts = $333.26, does not include brake pad
sensors, dealer gave me these since they left them off original
estimate.
That is the kind of thing that will keep you coming back though - save me 12 bucks when its your fault and I'll throw you the 200 for labor and my future business - I have to say though those discs seem expensive...
nyc_moto said:
4. Yes I need to buy a mic so I can measure myself. The dealer said
the rotors are worn to the factory limit, but I can only go on their
word for now. I was shocked they said rotors are shot, I am sure
you could go longer with them, but I figured since I was buying
parts online and paying dealer for labor I should get new ones.
It can't hurt anything but your wallet, its safer to get new ones, so I'm not knocking it, but to my eye without knowing what the wear limit is they sure look fine to me.
nyc_moto said:
sorry about photos, I am new here and could not figure out how to post multiple photos at one time so i put them in photoshop first.
no worries - welcome by the way - I noticed after I posted that you had put them all into one file - but the site thought I wasn't me when I tried to edit it and quite frankly was too lazy to relogin. I think - not sure - that you have to insert them all separately rather than a batch like upload.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
brake rotors

If you did not have a pulsing pedal when stopping,those rotors look pretty good .ON the rotor there is a minimum tolerace stamped in the casting,a brake micrometer would measure the thickness .I guess the dealer was taking no chances with the used rotors and wanted to make a larger work order price. Marty

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes that is what I thought when they told me original estimate, but I am not a VW tech, so I went with their word. Need to measure those up and see if they are really at the wear limit for factory settings. Will post when I get that far.

·
Administrator
4,833 Posts
I believe the rotors start our without the deep grooves he has as shown in the photos. Assuming that the above owner has a V6 or V8, the front rotors come 32 mm thick as new and have a wear limit of 30 mm. I would say there is easily 1 mm of wear on the side we can see and very likely at least 1 mm of wear on the side we can't see.

I saw a similar set of rotors just this week from a New York driver with only 20k on them.

For what its worth, just allowing 2 mm of wear on rotors of this size is not uncommon.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
brake rotor life

a ps to previous reply; wheel has to be removed rotor rebolted and torqued to specs,using magnetic mount dial indicator the runout has to be measured and within vw specs for lateral runout on each rotor New is better ,safer:DONT CHEAP OUT ON BRAKES . :wave: Marty

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Those rotors look heat damaged. Sign of heat damage is color shifting in the metal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the rotors are for sure not heat damaged. I have seen that on my motorcycles and the Trg rotors are not discolored from excessive heat. They are also very thick so the heat should effect them much less than other rotor styles. Granted they are worn where the pads had contact but I do think there is quite a bit of life left in them. It would take some excessive braking to see heat damage on these massive rotors. They must weight at least 30+ lbs each!

·
Registered
2 Posts
our brake system is made by Brembo. They recommend changing rotors only when they reach minimum thickness not every time pads are changed. Get a micrometer and measure yourself or have a brake shop do it for you. Changing pads is quite easy and takes about an hour for front.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts