Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings - hoping someone can confirm that my brake fluid should flushed & replaced every two years ? Have a 2016 3.6L Lux with 32,800 mi. Dealer quoted $354 for 30K service (oil/filter change + brake flush)...seems high ? Thanks for sharing knowledge 馃憤

Registered
Replacing brake fluid every two years is standard practice on all vehicles. It is hdryoscopic and absorbs water and becomes contaminated over time.

Registered
The first brake fluid change is due at 3 years old and thereafter every two years, and always regardless of mileage.

The longer initial period is because the factory fill is into a new, clean, dry system whereas thereafter it's not.

Registered
$354 seems a bit steep for oil change and brake fluid flush. $100-$120 for engine oil and filter, $60-$100 for brake fluid flush including labour.

Registered
We know they charge flat rate labor and although we also know they are hooking up the brake fluid machine while th oil is draining, these are likely stand alone flat rate hour jobs. Say 2 hour or close in labor, plus shop supplies, disposal fees etc etc blah blah blah plus parts. The number doesn't shock me for a dealership

Registered
It's a business.... it's purpose is to make profits..... even if they can or do the service in 30min, why would they cut their profit to save you money?

Just like everything else, if you pay someone else to do something you don't have the necessary skill or tools to do, it will cost you more.

Read up on it, and do it yourself. A brake fluid flush\change is not that technical if you have one or two wrenching bones in your body. Otherwise go to an independent shop to get a lower price for the service.

Registered
$354 seems a bit steep for oil change and brake fluid flush. $100-$120 for engine oil and filter, $60-$100 for brake fluid flush including labour.
not really. back in '06, my VW dealer asked $130-150 to bleed brakes on my GTI. I'm sure that was a bit high at the time too, but I didn't know the entire procedure. After reading the FSM, bleeding the brakes is an involved process with the ABS pump.
I'm not sure how many devices the dealer uses to bleed the brakes, but I believe they have to cycle the ABS pump multiple times with their precious VAG-tool. Obviously, on a lift, doing all 4 at the same time is a lot easier than one at a time in your garage.

If the price sounds too much, ask them to break it down for you - parts/supplies, labor, misc fees...oh, and ask for the tax as well.

hope this is helpful

Registered
Bleeding the system after replacing a component such as a caliper or pump or master cylinder is a totally different story than just flushing out the old fluid.... at least in my opinion.

Registered
Bleeding the system after replacing a component such as a caliper or pump or master cylinder is a totally different story than just flushing out the old fluid.... at least in my opinion.
When changing calipers bleeding is pretty much the same as a flush since you only get air at that wheel. ABS pump or master cylinder is more in depth

Registered
I believe the dealer brake fluid change on Generation 1 cars is a 13 stage process.

It might be different on Generation 2 Touaregs.

Registered
Flushing does not need any fancy software. It is a straight forward process. Opening the brake system and letting all the fluid drain out completely, especially at the ABS unit is where the software is required to operate the ABS pumps and cycle the valve to all the brake circuits while filling again.
If any components are changed like callipers, just plug the line so fluid does not gravity drain out and you don鈥檛 require any VCDS or VAGCOM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
gazaflash
Club Touareg Forum
We鈥檙e the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing