Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Shamefully, my brakes haven't been flushed in way too long. I just replaced all the pads and rotors so I should do so now.

Empty the reservoir, top it up with new fluid, run the ABS bleed program and then do the two-person bleed method? Missing anything for the Touareg?

How much brake fluid will I need?

Thanks!
VD-CH

·
Registered
37 Posts
I literally never flush brakes on cars, and never have any problems. Seems to be a superfluous task.
All the VW transmission oils are "sealed for life" so those tasks are superfluous straight out of the factory for owners like yourself, and I hope you don't waste time and money changing the engine oil in your car as that's another superfluous task since now you've got your own dipstick you can just add a quart from time to time to keep the engine topped up to the minimum mark.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Euh... Sorry. Maybe I wasn't clear in my post. I'm talking about the brake fluid which needs to be replaced every 2 years.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Euh... Sorry. Maybe I wasn't clear in my post. I'm talking about the brake fluid which needs to be replaced every 2 years.
VD-CD - your post was perfectly clear and you are absolutely right to maintain your car properly and change the fluid on time.

My post, now amended, was in response to post #2.

I'm sorry I can't help you on the volume you will need but make sure it's the correct VW spec.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
711 Posts
I change it every two years. I use a power bleeder and do all my cars at the same time. 2 liters/quarts is what I use. It’s more of a thing to keep moisture out of the system. Before that I would just siphon the reservoir every so often as you can clearly see the difference in color. I would guess it is heat or moisture causing the color change so I felt better changing out the whole system. It’s a inexpensive maintenance procedure.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
All I know is that (at a minimum) I like to pull a few ounces out of the caliper bleed pin with a brake pad change. The fluid there is often dark and discolored. A little bleeding gets it back to clear again.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes, but I've never seen it happen with a CLOSED system.
It is not really a closed system as the reservoir master cylinder is gravity fed, so moisture is still absorbed into the system each time the pedal is pushed and fluid is compressed into the master cylinder.
Can you tell me why brake system fluid, that has never been flushed, is dark in colour?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fact: after a brake fluid flush All my vehicles brake better. The long travel feeling of the brake pedal dissapeared. Most noticeably on my wife's kia mimivan

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's a pic I took last week before I changed the fluids on my Touareg. Compare the ph level of the fluids on my truck which are brand new with the Toyaregs 116000 miles. It's so corrosive that it it will eventually eat through the brake lines

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
Chris Giakoumakos
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing