Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
NO, But...

I finally finished installing the very nice AWE center vent boost gauge in my S4 last week and it reminded me how silly it was to go without one for so long in a turbocharged car.

I've been thinking casually about this for some time and haven't seen a gauge I think looks integrated enough for the Treg, nor a great place to put it.

One no-longer-available option is the Defi HUD gauge that I had in my F150 Harley Davidson Ed with the supercharged engine. It was cool, and matched (more or less) the instrument color scheme in that truck, but you can't get them now. And they are the wrong color anyway for our VWs.

I really can't think of a place to put one anyway that would look good, be easy to see, and look integrated as well.

Best fantasy-hope would be to be able to program the MFI via the CAN bus but I don't have the time to do that (though I'd be willing to fork out for one, if it ever made production).

Another option I was considering was the idea of putting LEDs (green, then amber, then red) around the tach that would illuminate for each (for example) .5PSI of boost.

I have a digital boost gauge that has a large red LED display that I was also thinking about putting somewhere in the dash. No firm plans yet though.

If anyone does do so, please post the results. I'm sure all of the V10 owners would like to see them!

-Will

· Registered
134 Posts
29.733 lbs.

published in the Feb 2005 edition of Four Wheeler
My only question is; what use is a turbo boost guage?
I assume that 29psi is absolute pressure, in which case it would be about 15 psi gauge pressure. That sounds believable.

As to why one might want a boost gauge, you want to stay out of boost until the engine is warmed up, and a gauge is the most reliable way to know that. A gauge is also useful to indicate impending problems. For example, if you suddenly see 25 psi when you are expecting only 15, you can assume there is something wrong with the wastegate or its controlling hardware. You'd probably get a CEL but it is nice to see it validated by another method. You also want to have a boost gauge to make sure you are getting all the boost the turbos are designed to build. If you were expecting to see 15 psi at WOT and only saw 10, you could reasonably assume a leak test would be in order. There are other uses, but you get the point.

-Will

· Registered
100 Posts
BoostAddiction said:
29.733 lbs.
published in the Feb 2005 edition of Four Wheeler
Wait- I just read the article you quoted and the number you referenced was 29 THOUSAND PSI, and is the injector pressure, not the boost pressure.

So we still don't know the nominal pressure the turbos pump out.

-Will
Mea Culpa. The page I read was scanned. The "," looked like a "." to me.
Thanks for checking.

· Registered
94 Posts
I have been looking for boost guages, too. Still haven't found a perfect one or the best mounting method, but attached is the best looking I have found so far. They list boost/EGT combos, but not dual boost (one for each turbo), but EGT is still something that can indicate a problem. I wouldn't mind two boost/egt guages - one for each bank. If there is any significant difference between the two, it could indicate a problem.
These are made for aircraft, but should work. They are 2 inch round guages.
http://www.frostalarm.com/cat/dp14.html

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.