Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, as I have been using alot of the information from this group I thought I had better start giving something back in return for all the invaluable information I have gained.
I have a 2004 R5 which I bought from an online auction "Grays on Line". I had 245k on the dial, had the usual dents and scratches leather interior with drivers side seat worn on outside cushion, and it was locked in low range.
winning bid was $4010.00 however while cleaning out I found $9 so it really was $4,001.
With all the valuable information gather from this group on low range issues, I flew from Newcastle (Aust) to Melbourne to pick up the Touareg. Sure enough it was locked in low range I crab walked the T out of the yard into a side street, applied my learned knowledge and with very good luck in 15 minutes I fixed low range and then drove the vehicle 800klms home with no problems.
Over the next few week I ran through leaking sun roof now fixed, smoking engine check out photo's in general maintenance, I was able to fix all the issues by using all the knowledge form you blokes thanks to all.
Check out the photo's on the inlet manifold and ERG.

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
What did you do to fix the stuck in LO?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi noobytoogy,
It looks like both my intro's got through I didn't realise my first posting went through as I had to reboot to log back in.
Plan A
I loosen the bolts on the stepper motor (solenoid) to take it off to inspect but could not get a proper hold on it as I was doing this on the side of the road. I decided while it was loose I would hop back into cab and activated the dif switch to see if the solenoid being loose may operate. When I tried the switch I could hear the solenoid click and see the low range lights flashing. Put into neutral engaged low then back to hi range drove forward and monitored the rpm were related to speed. Conduct a sharp U turn with no crab walk and knew I had fluked a winner.

I had Plan A,B & C.
Plan B was If I could not fix at auction yard I would get the vehicle towed to my son's place which was near by and work on it there.

C - had contacted suppliers and had access to purchase another stepper motor or Transfer case.
Thank goodness plan A worked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.