Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal or is my system malfunctioning? When my nav is in 2D view, the entire screen is a map. When I switch to 3D view, then I get a blue strip at the top. This is really weird as it takes away from visible area.

2014 TDI

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thats the "horizon" of the nav. nothing broken. If you want to see more of the area you can adjust the zoom level of the nav with the center dial or on the bottom right of the screen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the explanation.

Looks like the tech in my 2014 $70K SUV is way cheaper than in the 2014 $20K Mazda3... Understandably, it was developed back for the 2011 MY, I just wish it was more user friendly and less quirky.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You're welcome.

The tech is just older. IMHO a VW interior is very hard to beat. It just doesn't feel as nice in other cars, no matter how good the infotainment system is.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
I think the horizon on/off and the interface is more of a personal preference vs. anything having to do with low tech vs. high tech. I've got MB's Audis and a Ford with the Synch 3 system in my driveway, still preferred the way my '13 Touareg nav interface operated. That said the Benz and Ford have far superior voice rec, but I didn't buy any of these vehicles for the infotainment system...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The blue horizon is just bad UI. You should never take away usable space :) for something that conveys zero information. However, when I said old tech, i meant in general, my experience with Bluetooth connections, pairings, how maps work... There are some bugs, and some old style UI decisions that companies shifted away from.

Nothing earth-shattering, or particularly terrible. I realize the infotainment system was designed likely in 2009-2010 for the MY2011, and we've come a long way since then.

edit: the plus side, though, is that the bluetooth range is quite far. I can be parked on the street, and go to the porch on the house, and the car still maintains the connection. Whereas in my '14 Mazda3, stepping outside of the car will drop the connection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts