Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this because I need help finding a blower motor and because the parts finders seem to point to the wrong blower for this model Touareg.

The blower on our 2014 Touareg has become intermittent so I think it needs to be replaced. I assume that the brushes are worn. So I went to AutohausAZ and was pleased or order a Valeo 1K1820015Q for only $108 shipped. Awesome. Well I went to install it and as soon as I pulled my blower I could see it didn't match. I called them and they are returning it for free but they were not able to suggest a replacement for me. They couldn't cross reference the model numbers.

So now I can only seem to find OEM blowers for $265 or so. Ouch. But the VW part number is 7P0-820-021-H and when I was googling that I linked over to AutohausAZ and found this Continental VDO model that says it fits a Cayenne. It sure looks accurate in the pictures. It was $175 but of course has now gone backordered since I've been trying to determine if it is a good replacement for my Touareg. Here is a link to that one: Continental VDO 95857234202, PM4090 Blower Motor; Front SKU: 1446896-CV-95857234202 - Porsche

So any thoughts on a) whether this continental blower is an OEM replacement for this Touareg? Or more generally what is the cheapest option for me here? I saw threads about replacing brushes for only $10 or so and I'm not totally against that but it looked fairly difficult and I'm not sure where to source brushes either.

IMG_4615.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had intermitent problems with my blower sometimes turning on then not at all. Brought to dealer for an estimate. Was covered under warranty. 2014 Touareg redline tdi.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I use Partsgeek.com They don't always have what I'm looking for, but when they do I save a bazillion dollars.
What did Partsgeek have to say about this part?
I often include them in my parts search but prefer to use an outlet with less freight charges.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm writing to close the book on this thread. I ended up going with a VW OEM replacement. I just couldn't find an alternative that seemed trustworthy. I would have tried the Continental VDO unit that I had seen for about $175, but it was backordered everywhere. I ended up using one of the VW dealers who sell parts online at discounted prices - found by googing the part number I believe. I paid about $245 + shipping, which seems crazy but not as crazy as the $403 I was quoted by the parts desk at my dealer. It was an easy DIY repair. No need for VAGCOM. And I replaced the cabin air filter while I was there. I'm assuming I saved about $300 or so by avoiding the dealer so well worth it. Original blower lasted about 6-7 yrs and 170k miles.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Just posting a quick update. I ran into this same problem. VDO at one point was the same as an OE with a sticker over it (someone posted in another thread). Continental has acquired VDO so now the box says Continental VDO and the part looks nearly identical to the OE, except for the rubber that holds the wires in place (under the motor cover) is black instead of orange and a hole where the bushing on the motor is with a black sticker over it. The box says made in China. FYI.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My VDO also came from China. I was hoping for a EU manufactured fan. The cheaper ones are a waste of money. I went trough two OEM fans and on the second aftermarket fan at 130K miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts