Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having continual problems with the DPF light coming on. Have done a burn as per instructions, and within 200 Klms the light comes on again. Any suggestions as to using a DPF cleaning additive and if so, which one?

·
Learner
5,294 Posts
Hi, how many kms on the odo?
The regen, was it done at a workshop or driving?
Do you know the dpf levels, esp ash?
Don't know if additives will help, but if the dpf is full then either replace or get someone to clean the guts to refurbish it.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
As per above, need more detail.
Do you need to pass inspections in your area? Can you get away with "deletes"?
Can you get a full scan posted? Typically, unless you're at a lot of milage on the clock, there's something else failed like a sensor or system component that causes the issue. It could also be linked to your driving patterns.

Forget all about cleaners.

·
Registered
2012 180TDI
145 Posts
The main thing to find out is whether the dpf is the problem, or you have an engine problem (burning oil/injector fault etc).

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Delete it

·
Registered
T3 - 2013 3.6L VR6
53 Posts
Guys, I'm in same boat on this. The DPF will eventually fill up. Can some guru's here guide us. Ways to open or clean out the ash etc.

I am not in a country that has DPF cleaning companies. If someone can enlighten us on methods an exhaust shop can undertake. Total delete is not the preferred as leads to black smoke puffs etc. Thanks lots.

·
Registered
2012 180TDI
145 Posts
As I said to the other one, is this an engine issue or a dpf issue? If a dpf issue, and you can't clean it, and don't want to delete it, your only option is to replace it.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Guys, I'm in same boat on this. The DPF will eventually fill up. Can some guru's here guide us. Ways to open or clean out the ash etc.

I am not in a country that has DPF cleaning companies. If someone can enlighten us on methods an exhaust shop can undertake. Total delete is not the preferred as leads to black smoke puffs etc. Thanks lots.
If you can't clean it, you replace it or delete it. End of story. Welcome to owning a diesel.

As I said to the other one, is this an engine issue or a dpf issue? If a dpf issue, and you can't clean it, and don't want to delete it, your only option is to replace it.
Yep

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Here in NA, we have the extended emissions warranty. Almost all owners will unload their rigs once this runs out due to fear of repair costs. Others like myself, will make a calculated decision when the warranty runs out based on which of the many covered items have already been replaced, and what our comfort level is as far as potential future failures (dpf, hpfp, injectors, EGR, etc) and do deletes or keep on trucking until a catastrophic failure at which point we will walk away from it.

As previously stated, any cleaning services are just stories. You could theoretically cut it apart, empty it and then weld it back up, but unless you can do all that yourself, it won't be very cost effective.

Realistically, a delete is the most economical when that time comes if you are still wanting to keep it for a few years from that point.

Reactions: emailpeter

·
Registered
T3 - 2013 3.6L VR6
53 Posts
Noted all your comments. If my Q7 TDI runs into clogged DPF, will prob hunt out the cheapest new one for replacement. Altho some exhaust guys are saying, some have carefully cut open the entry side, and air blown and backwashed with moderate chemicals.

I had a cheat fuel pressure device on it. power was increased, but at the expense of more frequent regens. Stopped using it after a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Once again, any cleaning claims are just stories. Look up and research the design of the DPF to understand why this doesn't work. You can cut the bottom (ash storage portion) out of it to empty it, and then weld it back up. Any pressure washing or reverse blowing of stuff is just stories, and will simply do damage to your DPF while costing you significant amounts of money. If you believe that you are going to keep your TDI for another 120k once you get a full DPF, then it may make sense to just replace it.... but there are many other costly components that will also tap out during that additional milage, so just because you took care of one component, it doesn't guarantee that your injectors or pump won't tap out.

It all comes down to what it costs you to keep it going, and what it is worth to you when it starts costing your in repairs.

Not everyone's comfort level is the same.

Reactions: emailpeter
1 - 11 of 11 Posts