Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a really bizarre electrical problem with my 2007 Touareg that has baffled the AA Recovery man. Any help would be much appreciated as I can’t think of any way to fix this!
All the following happened within a few minutes:
  • The radio screen went blank (but the music still plays)
  • Front Right Parking Light bulb not working
  • Front Left Dipped Beam not working
  • Front Left Main Beam not working
  • Front Left Turn Signal not working
  • Rear Left Turn Signal not working.
The AA man checked all the fuses and they’re fine. He tried disconnecting the battery for a while which didn’t work, all the errors just popped up on the dashboard exactly the same each time. Can anybody think of a possible explanation/solution because this is really weird.

Many thanks in advance.
Ian.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My initial thought was to check to be sure you ground I’d good. Often corrosion will occur somewhere and compromise electrical contact such that crazy things like this sometimes occur. If you have a good tech who’s savvy with electronics, ask him to check your charging system, power output, and ground. It might be something as simple as corrosion build up on a battery terminal. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, yes I'm hoping it's something simple and not the ECU on it's way out. It just seems odd that it's the same specific items being flagged up rather than random ones after each start up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’m a new owner so may not be much help but I pulled my headlight today and noticed the harness wires were cracking. I had seen a pic earlier of a badly rotted harness. Easy check.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, I had a look and it's all good in the headlight harness area.

This morning I checked the battery terminals (there's a great video here
which shows you how to get to the battery). They seem good solid connections with no corrosion. So it is still really baffling and annoying. I'm booked in at the auto-electrician on Tuesday but if anyone can think of a solution in the meantime I'd be really grateful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just for closure in case anyone else experiences similar random electronic nincompoopery, it turned out to be a faulty control module (7L6 937 049 AF) located in the boot. Once this was replaced it solved everything except the blank radio screen which must've coincidentally failed at the same time. So, I've also ordered another radio unit. Expensive week for me... o_O

·
Registered
50 Posts
You know, it seems odd regarding timing/coincidence of these issues together. May not be related but I’m seeing a common theme with Touaregs in that problems and causes can usually be unrelated.

For example, I just found this helpful thread caused by more fraying wires caused by water leaks under the driver pedals/carpet. The electrical issues here are different than you report but it’s worth checking into. Perhaps there’s a similar but different cause for your module and radio to go out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts