Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just looked these up on Ebay using the part number 45-240256 (front left).

Didn't realise how much each air bag costs.

Saw each one on Ebay for around $1900 AUD for each air bag.

Another Australian site were listing the same Front Left side for $3249 plus shipping $175 for shipping.

https://www.fruugoaustralia.com/bilstein-45-240256-b4-series-suspension-air-spring-front-left-b4-series-suspension-air-spring/p-22145251-48288476?ac=myshopping&language=en&utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Auto+Parts&utm_term=Bilstein+45+240256+B4+Series+Suspension+Air+Spring+Front+Left+B4

Just lost my appetite for going offroad.

Don't think there will be any change out of $15k AUD just to replace the four air bags.

What would the dealership charge for the same part?

Is this the normal price, or are Bilstein just that much more expensive.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So apparently the air spring is separable from the shock absorber.

I wonder if it is possible to order the shocks separate from the air spring?

·
Registered
487 Posts
okay, so maybe the crowd selling for $3.5k was selling for bigger mark-up. Should be around $2k AUD for air back, which is not cheap.

I expect the Bilstein approved reseller (who will install it) will want to add his labour and margin for any issues that may eventuate to the total price.

Don't expect much change from $10k.

Still very expensive exercise.

If we are experiencing issues with suspension and needed to replace the entire set, it may be easier to off-load the vehicle.

Having said that, I expect that you would be replacing the air bags due to a fault (that could be detected by scanning the car for such fault).

BTW: Is there any reason to replace air bags (other than if there is an issue), and would you need to replace all four, like tyres, or just the faulty one?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Ebay, stealers, vendors if you don't want the OEM stuff...... I even found complete subframes at local scrap yards what will come with everything that's bolted to it (springs, shocks, hubs, etc).... they are not cheap.

There's some "China" versions around too which seem to be less expensive but I don't know how I feel about them.

Why do you want "shocks" only?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanted new Bildteil shocks. There are aftermarket companies that make the airsprings.

Guess it’s just better to bite the bullet and buy the Porsche part numbers. Hopefully a better calving than stock VW non air springs.

Wish they made the rheomagnetic but that’s a whole different headache....

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My concern on those are the shocks themselves. I presume that after 5-10 years of driving the shock valving will be shot (as most shocks are).... but the air bags may be ok. I'd also be curious who makes the shocks. I'd prefer the Porsche or Bilstein valving.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'd like to know about the lifetime of the shocks too as i still have the original shocks and my treg is 15 years old !
I've see ATE mentionned on some of the used oem ebay ads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Any technical info on this is subject is welcome. I bought a used set of rear shocks to have as a backup solution. They came off a 2006 Touareg. I'll open them up and see if they are any good. I paid a 110$ with shipping. If the struts are bad maybe I can keep the bags if they are still ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts