Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooooooo...any of you fine lady’s, and gents have any first hand experience with Bilstein B4, or B6 shocks & struts??? Or, do any of you know of any links on ClubTouareg to such info? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! I can’t wait to get it done.

I noticed when I was eyeing up the OEM springs that there are several different options in terms of stiffness. Do the King springs come in the same flavors? Is there a stiffness, in particular, I should be getting for my base VR6?

I was thinking of doing coil spacers, as well. What are your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
I can't recall the Spring specs...sorry. Will try and dig it up...or chat with the previous owner.

Thought about doing Alex's lift mod, but my mechanic said the that the parts provided, weren't going to work on mine. So, stayed with Bilstein/Kings upgrade.

I run a 31' (tip to toe) caravan, weight rating of 3100+kilograms and towball weight of around 280kg. The back end of the 'reg does drop slightly when hooked up, but front tyres remain firmly planted.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Awesome! I can’t wait to get it done.

I noticed when I was eyeing up the OEM springs that there are several different options in terms of stiffness. Do the King springs come in the same flavors? Is there a stiffness, in particular, I should be getting for my base VR6?

I was thinking of doing coil spacers, as well. What are your thoughts?

Yes, you are right as there are a couple of different spring rates available and used by VW as OEM springs, they are identified by the combination of coloured dots painted on the actual spring themselves.

If you look at the pics I have attached from my 7L (2008) 3.0 TDI, the front coil is marked "MB" (yellow (possibly white) dots) and the rear is the "MH" (green + yellow dots).
I was told these coils are the "stiffest" OEM combination available and were possibly fitted because the vehicle was factory ordered with the tow pack, as there are other colour combinations available, why don't you have a look at your coils and see what colours you have?

The King Springs are not available in other versions however as they are marketed as "heavy duty" they noticeably do use a thicker rod material, length is the same.

If you want stiffer springs for occasional offroad work and you do not tow anything heavy my suggestion is that you source a set of MB/MH combination OEM springs as they will offer you the most comfortable ride especially if you plan to add spacers for a little additional height.
Don't forget with spacers you will loose some spring travel which will cause some additional ride "harshness" so sticking with OEM will minimise that effect.

Attached is a pic of the 40mm AG Fab. spacers I had originally fitted with the Bilstein/King Springs combination on my Touareg, if you haven't already read this here's the link:
https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f66/suspension-upgrade-steel-t2-tdi-166345.html

TonyB

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, Steve. Thank you, Tony. I greatly appreciate the input. I think the B6s with the OEM MB/MH springs, and spacers are going to be the route I travel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts