Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a fortysomething software development manager. My Touareg is white/teak with the V8, air suspension, and nav system. I didn't go with a PPS becuase all PPSs that were available at the time had the 19s.

I purchased from Hezog Meier and they are okay on the sales, they used pressure but I considered it sport (i.e. fun to mess with their minds). I haven't needed any service yet but they have an okay reputation with the folks I know.

I'm single/never married. I like well behaved dogs (I have a cattledog mix - see avatar). I broke my back in 1980 and as far as I know, I may be the first to put hand controls in a Touareg. I consider (as do direct reports consider) me to be an "alpha" cripple. I do everything myself and tend to rely on only myself. I used to be able to lie about my age by 5-7 years but since my hair started bailing out, I don't get away with it as much as I used to. Most folks like me but some think I'm an ahole. Okay, probably already crossed the "too much information" line...

· Registered
55 Posts
Hi Bill! I found your intro very interesting, particularly the "alpha cripple" part :). You've made me curious, and I hope you don't mind a few questions. Do you use a wheelchair and if so, how do you get in and out of the car? I recall seeing a guy do this once but I can't quite remember how he did it--only that it was pretty amazing to watch! Are your special controls provided by VW, or aftermarket?
Where does your dog ride in the Touareg? How big is he/she, how old, name? When I first started SUV shopping, I had a 220 lb. English mastiff. He was not very agile and was prone to injury, so my top priority was a vehicle with enough space that was low enough for Mo to enter and exit safely. I even considered a lift or retractable ramp, such as I've seen on vehicles fitted for the handicapped. Unfortunately, however, Mo passed away before I came to a decision. I wonder now if the loading level on the Touareg's air suspension would have been sufficient for him. Do you find it helpful?
Well, I'm off to the auto supply store to pick up some carwashing supplies. I've decided I'm not ready to trust her to a carwash :). Have a great day!

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Kim,

Ask away. I'm a T12-L1 para (broken at bottom of rib cage). I was 22 and wild as h3ll. Goofing around on a hot August day, jumped off a bridge (70') and hit the bottom of the river. Folks didn't believe me when I said I needed help and kept sitting me up on the shore, that probably did the most damage... The "alpha cripple" came up in conversation at work because I am relatively fearless, kind hearted but agressive (no weaping violet). Some folks get tripped up by it but oh well.

Anyway, I use a TiLite Titanium manual wheelchair, non-folding. (rigid frame). I have enough use of my hips and knees to stand (leaning on something) for a minute or two. I hang on using teh rack rails and side step back to the hatch. I had to fabricate a plate that has a cutout for a handle, it bolts into the rack rail. Then I pop the hatch and hobble around, grab my chair and go, oppisite for getting in. I look pretty healthly and always get dirty looks when I park in a cripple parking place, then the are you drunk look as I hoble to the hatch, then the looks change when I grab out the chair.

I installed my handcontrols myself (I want them the way I want them). I have a couple of sets so I didn't need to buy them but all major autombile manufacturers will reimburse up to 1k for adaptive devices.

My dog, emma, rides in the passenger seat with her head on the console. The loading level is a godsend for me, and a yawn for the dog (she can jump pretty high). Sorry to hear about Mo, sounds like a great friend.

I hand wash my rigs, same feelings toward carwashes. I find that using synthetic "waxes" is the way to go. Take a look at finishfirstpolish.com for info. The stuff is excellent and the car stays cleaner because it hard for stuff to stick to it.

Take care.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.