Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,128 Posts
Thule, Yakima or Kuat...I personally chauffeur my $5K steed on a Yakima Doubledown 4 with a frame adapter from Thule to keep the straps from marring the finish...that's what rocks and roots are for!

· Registered
314 Posts
Here's our cruisers, sitting on our Thule rack I found for $100 on craigslist...

It's a pretty nice setup. I've hit a few good dips at speed and the bikes stayed put. It folds up nice, when you still have it attached and heading off for your ride.

· Registered
409 Posts
The Yakima two-timer/four timer racks work pretty well for a wide range of bikes, up to four at a time, but will not take fat-tire bikes without expensive conversion kits. They are also pretty bulky

My personal favorites come from North Shore Racks; however they do not work for road or cyclocross bikes and they are rather pricey.

I've heard good things about the 1-up rack mentioned earlier, but I have no experience with this brand.

It would help if you told us what type of bikes you plan to haul and how many you plan to take at a time.

· Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
973 Posts
If you can afford one, the 1upUSA is the rack to get. There are several versions. The best part is if you don't need to carry more than three bikes, and you usually only carry one bike, then you can get the single 1up rack, and easily add two more trays in a minute or two, and take them off just as fast.

The single 1up also fits 2 inch and 1-1/4 inch receivers. It comes with an adapter that goes on and off with one bolt. Two bikes are easy to make clear each other, multiple bike trays are staged higher, like stadium seats.

If you always carry two, or more bikes, get the 2 tray bike system, and add to it. You can also buy a cheap adapter kit that allows bikes with tires up to 4.5 inches wide (fat bikes). Also cheap adapters for very skinny road bikes tires (under 2.0 inches) .

1Up racks are not cheap, they are nearly the most expensive rack system available, but everyone who has one loves it. I do. I've had mine for 3 years, and I use it on the Touareg AND my camper that has a 1-1/4 inch receiver. I put the bike and rack on back of the camper, and when I get to my destination, I transfer the rack to the Touareg with the 2" adapter in about a minute.

If you have a couple of days to read reviews, here's a thread at MTBR.com .. Check it out on YouTube also.

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.- Mtbr.com

· Super Moderator
9,694 Posts
They other thing not mentioned by myself or ToolmanJohn is the 1up can also be folded up to the point you could put it in the back of your car if need be. It is lighter then my previous Yakima setup I had. I only bought the silver one for it was not worth it to me to pay almost $100 more for the black anodized one.

Here is a pic of mine with my mountain bike on it. I have a two bike setup since I occasionally take a friend with me when I ride.

Attachments

· Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
973 Posts
I attached a few pictures of the rack, mounted to the garage wall using the rack stash accessory. I take the rack off when not in use and re-install when going for a ride, it's easy to do. The add-on tray is folded next to it leaning on the wall. I only carry two bikes a few times a year.

The camera flash makes it look like It looks like I have crazy red lamps on the rack, but I added the red reflector tape to the 1up rack so it adds visibility when folded up on the back of the Touareg. I use concrete bolts to attach the rack stash to the wall. Just slide the rack in or out.

And also a picture of the remains of my current bike sans frame. I cracked the bike a "little", and I'm getting a warranty replacement frame this week.

Attachments

· Registered
1,128 Posts
The Yakima two-timer/four timer racks work pretty well for a wide range of bikes, up to four at a time, but will not take fat-tire bikes without expensive conversion kits. They are also pretty bulky
The Thule frame adapter (just an adjustable crossbar that connects the seat post to the stem) only cost like $45. My previous mtb didn't need it, but my current ride didn't have enough room around the rear suspension bits to get it on the rack, and I didn't want to mess up the finish. Plus, it hangs a little lower and is out of the air stream a little better.

My Yakima DoubleDown is heavy, but it has a built-in bottle opener.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
My Yakima Ridgeback 5 has the bottle opener, too!

· Registered
152 Posts
I use a Yakima Ridgeback 2 with no issues. If I were to buy it again though, I'd get one larger than I actually needed. Space can be your friend. Agreeing with Fincher though - the bottle opener is great!

One note I do have is if you have the auto-open liftgate it can be annoying if you aren't careful - before I really understood everything about it the lift gate would frequently try to open up and hit the bike rack.

· Registered
143 Posts
The Thule T2 Pro is awesome. So awesome, it costs about as much as the Touareg. I have borrowed my buddies to use after I bought a Wal-Mart special and it broke within the first 100 miles. I loved my Swagman XC, but it went with my last camper I sold. Hence the stupid Wal-Mart purchase.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.