Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hadnt seen this on here, so i figured id share...

the annoyance of having a bike rack on the back with the parking sensors was enough to get me to look into some easy fixes.
making a dummy trailer connector seemed to be the trick

easy as using some 5w 33ohm resistors on the tail/running light pin, and the left and right hand turn signal pins, then running all of them to the ground pin.
im not 100% all 3 are needed but i figured to avoid any lamp errors this seemed like the safest bet to do all of them.
the end result is it triggering the trailer detection, and turning off the rear parking sensors when the bike rack is in there so there isnt that godawful beeping the entire time youre moving into a parking spot :)
the resistors are chunky enough to kind of squish into the housing without leaving any room to wiggle so i think theyll end up being supported well enough by the housing. folding over the cable shielding at the back of the connector housing makes it all pretty weather proof as well. if anything happens to it, its easy enough to rebuild.

whole thing is cheap too, $7 for an empty 7 pin connector from amazon and another few bucks for the resistors.

i looked briefly for someone selling something like this but didnt see anything otherwise id have probably rather saved the 20 minutes :)

anyway, maybe this helps someone out in the future!

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,881 Posts
I personally prefer the free option of turning off the park sensors in the RNS850 settings. That way if I do forget, I have the added convenience of turning it on/off from my seat, rather than stumbling to the back and installing/removing a device.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,881 Posts

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,998 Posts
I haven't tried it myself, but here it is
Rumor said:
The process of adding an offset distance to allow for the presence of a trailer hitch, bicycle rack, spare tire mounted on the back of the vehicle, etc. is as follows:
1) Open controller 76, which is PDC.
2) Press the 'Adaptation' button.
3) Go to Adaptation channel 4. Enter a value of between 0 and 15 centimeters as your offset distance. For Americans, one inch equals about two and a half centimeters.
4) Save your work and close the controller.
To change the speed at which PDC shuts off, follow the same process, but go to adaptation channel 3. Enter a value between 1 and 15 kilometers per hour (roughly equal to a range of half a MPH to 10 MPH).

·
Registered
2018 Audi Q7
537 Posts
Just mentioning, you don't have to add wires. The resistor leads should be long enough to go directly to the pins. Some people don't know how or have the ability to solder, so mentioning it so they aren't turned away from making one.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't tried it myself, but here it is
thats good to know!

im not sure if 6" would quite buy enough of a gap but its worth a shot for sure.
i remember seeing the speed adaptation when i was poking around in there, but i must have cruised by the distance one.

Just mentioning, you don't have to add wires. The resistor leads should be long enough to go directly to the pins. Some people don't know how or have the ability to solder, so mentioning it so they aren't turned away from making one.
the ones i bought wouldnt quite reach when all 3 were jammed together like shown, so they needed a little extra length.
but youre right i think with some more clever arranging they could work. i just saw it easier to extend em and jam them together.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
The only downside I can see to this would be that this is enabling trailer mode

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Remember that thing you were once talking about.... something "manual" or something.... typically found in a place where you hold gloves..... I wonder if that would have any clues....

View attachment 252474
this reminds me. this is an early car w/o the rear camera.
will have to flip through there and see if that stuff is available on the early cars without the camera...
(im not the primary driver so im in this thing once or twice a week)

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,998 Posts
I actually just checked my '14 Exec to see if I could find the PDC controller adaptations, and I failed.....
So maybe that is the answer on yours given that you have a different spec.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I actually just checked my '14 Exec to see if I could find the PDC controller adaptations, and I failed.....
So maybe that is the answer on yours given that you have a different spec.
same
no dice on mine.

and theres not a specific mute button either. takes 3-4 button presses to get to the rear sensor tone adjustment, then changing the adjustment.
thats not gonna work for the primary user of this thing haha when "plug in the thing at the back" is a single step

·
Registered
548 Posts
As we need auxiliary plate on the bike carrier, I mounted an LED motor bike tail/s and plate light to the carrier. The Treg recognises the lights but also recognises that the trailer indicator bulbs have failed!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts