Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new here and first off I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place! I couldn't find a tire specific section and figured it was either here or in the off roading section. I'm looking to buy a 2012 V6 TDI excutive for use in Calgary for the winter. The winter here is usually brutal with tons of ice and snow! So I was wondering what tyres are the best for these conditions! I'm going to be putting them on 18 inch rims, and was wondering what tyres you guys suggest for evil winter conditions! Thank you so much! :) (If this is in the wrong place just tell me and I'll move it!)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Welcome to the site!

You'll find loads of info on that subject by using the search function. Be sure to search for both spellings...tyre and tire.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I guess my question hopefully to folks who have run the winter in all season tires with tread left is do I really need winter tires now that I have all wheel drive? How does the treg drive in the winter?

I have a rear wheel drive car with all season tires with good tread and have done ok in the past? I really have snowy roads maybe a couple times a year and I just go slow, but I do not think AWD means you can just drive fast either. I see all the posts for winter tires but isn't that what AWD is for significantly better traction than front or rwd? I guess if I want to spend the dough on a second set and have the 4 rims/tires sitting in my garage all summer it is a safer and such but do I really need em?

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
warminwisco, I don't run winters, but I will be running all terrains this winter, and they do just fine. The last two years I have just had my regular all season Dunlops that came with my Treg when I bought it, and they were fine as well. Alot of it has to do with driving appropriately for the weather. Last winter I watched a Toyota Camry in front of me try to change lanes and fish tail out of control into a stoplight. I changed three lanes over behind him, with no trouble and got out to make sure they were ok. You will get differing opinions on here, from those who say you should run them because they are so much better on ice and snow, to those who don't run them and feel they are an unnecessary expense.

In my opinion, do what you think is best, but don't fall into the thinking that just because it is all wheel drive, it can't lose traction on icy roads. You still have to drive in accordance with the weather.

Reactions: mattnmissi

·
Registered
365 Posts
..... I see all the posts for winter tires but isn't that what AWD is for significantly better traction than front or rwd?....
Uuummmm how about no

Yes awd helps with acceleration as all corners are scratching but after growing up at Arctic Circle latitudes, I have to say the acceleration is too often what people without snow experience solely focus on and forget the real issue is the deceleration and maneuvering and awd doesn't give advantage over fwd or rwd as each rely on the coefficient friction between tire and road surface.

I used dedicated winter tires back in Finland and once I moved to States, I tried all-seasons as those came with the car and if it would be posible to buy new all-seasons for each winter then I could see it works for random / extremely mild snow but season (through sumner) old all-seasons are junk and I just don't get it how some people phrase the awesomness of all-seasons.

Heck all-seasons are compromise from two goods so medium soft compound wears faster than harder compound dedicated summer tires and doesn't provide grip dedicated winters with softer compound does.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Hey Nbrigdan, welcome!
Back to your original question, there are a few factors you might want to consider. Touaregs with 4motion are excellent in winter low traction conditions, IF you use the appropriate tires, AND they are in good condition. Get a set of cheap used, 17" VW Canyon rims ( original touareg fitment, lots around as people put blingy wheels on....) and get a good set of winter rated tires (nokian, blizzak, etc) mounted on them. If you go 235/65-17, there is a huge selection and the prices are good. As well, you will have clearance to use decent tire chains ( I use diamondback 2519Q's on all 4) if you want to be prepared for anything, you will be legal if you drive in BC between oct1 and april30, and you will be MUCH safer on the roads!
Have fun!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As others have said, it's not the going so much as the stopping where proper winter tyres make a huge difference between getting where you are going safely or the car ending up on a tow truck

The one thing you have to watch out for, as always, is the idiot behind who cannot stop as quickly but still tailgates you, so you have to keep your distance and manage your braking for them as well as you.

I have to pay the equivalent of the first $750 if I have any accident and that goes a long way to paying for a set of wheels and winter tyres that, in themselves, save money when my other set of ATs is parked in the workshop.

Even a Touareg can become a 2.5 ton toboggan if you try to ignore the laws of physics!

So, if you get snow and ice, get the right tyres to give yourself the best chance.

Anyone who has spent tens of thousands on a T3 can afford a decent set of tyres!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I got dunlop wintersports and they are great

·
Registered
890 Posts
In Toronto and from get go had two sets - summers and winters. Those all-rounds are just marketing job. I am on my second set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow - $180 a piece, great snow grip and excellent wear. Are they best? For the above price I think so! Get them V rated and you won't be looking back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Best advice.... Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

I'm also I Calgary guy and I have ALWAYS bought winters.

I've tried a few different sets over the years. I have a truck bringing material for our company weekly from Seattle so I usually try a different set every season and then sell them on our local fourum www.beyond.ca, which has a great buy/sell section if you need to find local goods.

2 years ago I had: dunlop winters and hated them
On my LS460 I put a set of Pirelli scorpions and had them studded:
By far the BEST winters I've used.

Also tried Bidgestone WS60's 2 years ago on my work car. 2005 TSX and I thought they were brutal. So I ended up switching them to General Altimax: had those studded and they were great.

This year I will be putting Pirelli's back on the TReg and I can't wait to see how they work. For Calgary you never know what your going to get. With the constant chinooks that we get you don't REALLY require winters, but I head to Canmore and the mountains almost every week so it's a necessity.

Tirerack.com has the best reviews.

GL sir :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've been running Bridgestone Blizzaks on all my vehicles. I think they are great. Stop great on slippery roads and go through snow well.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
In calgary absolutely get a set of dedicated snows. Nokian Hakkas or Bridgestone Blizzaks IMO are well advanced compared to everyone else.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Do the Nokian's wear as fast as the Blizzak's.
Pretty same rate, mine lasted 4 winters and still had half thread left but had to throw them away as the rubber hardens in time and 4 years is long way.

Did I point out that when when the white comes down in Finland, next time we see the bare pavement is March when spring comes. Drive on snow only and the thread rubber gets hard (looses its soft rubber grip advancement) before you wear the thread even halfway.

Moved to States and started to drive more on pavement and noticed how pavement time and temperature affects the wear rate. Warmer it gets on pavement, faster it wears so I try to keep mine below 50F and then swap summers on if it gets warmer.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
what klienbus said...on late off early, don't drive on snows if its steadily above freezing temps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Studded Nokians, hands down the best winter tires I've tried, I'm 3 hours north of you lol. Best bet is an excellent ice tire, especially with the strange weather Calgary can get hit with. I don't chance all seasons up here...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in Winnipeg, MB, Canada. Just bought my 2013 Treg, had a GTI before and had dedicated Michelin X-Ice and happy with those. I have bought a set of Continental ExtremeWinterContact on 17" alloys. Well rated vs. Michelin or Blizzaks but sadly no experience on them. The dealership is promoting these for their Tregs and Audi Q5/7.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts