Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to view the movies I am putting onto the SD card. They are mp4 format and the other mp3 files work, however they aren't organized very well on there. Not how I have them set-up on my MacBook pro anyway. I can figure that part out later. Does anyone know what I'm missing in order to be able to view these movies or videos that i'm putting on the SD card? They are always greyed out with no option to play when I try and watch them on the Touareg via SC card slot.

Thanks!

This could be a really cool feature if I can figure it out.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Your Owner's manual lists the formats and bit rates supported. If you don't have an Owner's manual, you can download one for your vehicle on VW's site.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the owners manual. It also says SD card up to 32GB max. I am using a 128GB SD card and the music files still show up and the movies are showing but can't click them to open them.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You can run a 1 TB SD card, but what it's formatted as is a different story. Not many tools will format 128GB partitions as FAT32 and fewer devices will read them.
I'd suggest starting at the officially supported sizes, formats, and bit rates, and play around from there. If you don't have a 32GB card, just partition it to 32GB and format it as FAT32- leave the rest of the space unpartitioned for now.
Check your video size and bit rates- make sure those are in spec.
Page 272ish in your Owner's Manual should give you the specs of what the Touareg will play.

I have the owners manual. It also says SD card up to 32GB max. I am using a 128GB SD card and the music files still show up and the movies are showing but can't click them to open them.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
what about the format does it need to be MP4 or AVI etc

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
have you tried other formats ? Re-formatted the sd card ? Maybe it does need the small card have you tried that

Reactions: Bracus

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ironically my 16 TDI LUX ONLY plays movies in the AVI format. I did not buy it new so the previous owner may have changed something. Not a big issue to me just making sure it is known that AVI files do play on the media system contrary to what the manual says.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01GD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I have the manual and have changed the format via the Disk Utility app on my MacBook pro to FAT32. Since that I can see the music files and they work. The video files are showing but they do not work. It skips right past them and onto the next song. So obviously I feel it could be the bit rate or the max 720p perhaps. I'm going to try that today and tweak it. I have seen that it might require a program called "Handbrake".... has anyone else known of this? And does that make sense?

·
Registered
366 Posts
The manual DOES indicate .avi container is supported-
Format: ISOMPEG4;
DivX 3, 4 and
5 Xvid (.avi).
Ironically my 16 TDI LUX ONLY plays movies in the AVI format. I did not buy it new so the previous owner may have changed something. Not a big issue to me just making sure it is known that AVI files do play on the media system contrary to what the manual says.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01GD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes, Handbrake is a good utility to transcode video. Use your existing file as an input and just make sure your output settings fall within specs. Make sure your Audio falls within the specs as well.
Speaking from personal experience, a 64GB SD card formatted to 64GB FAT32 will work. I dunno about 128GB. I would encourage you to get everything working to your liking following specs, before you start experimenting. I understand video can be quite finicky on the Touareg.
Another point from personal experience- unsupported formats and bit rates will show in the directory on the Touareg, but will not play. I accidentally got some WMA Lossless and Apple Lossless M4a on there- displayed in the directory but just skipped over them when playing.
Another point- I've had mixed success with m4a encoded as variable bit rate. For the Touareg, I encode to 256 CBR m4a. It will play any MP3, as max bit rate for mp3 is 320.

Yes I have the manual and have changed the format via the Disk Utility app on my MacBook pro to FAT32. Since that I can see the music files and they work. The video files are showing but they do not work. It skips right past them and onto the next song. So obviously I feel it could be the bit rate or the max 720p perhaps. I'm going to try that today and tweak it. I have seen that it might require a program called "Handbrake".... has anyone else known of this? And does that make sense?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use "Easy YouTube Video Downloader Express" plugin (Mozilla Firefox) to download youtube videos. I use 320p mp4 and they work great on sd card.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another point- I've had mixed success with m4a encoded as variable bit rate. For the Touareg, I encode to 256 CBR m4a. It will play any MP3, as max bit rate for mp3 is 320.
What do you mean by encode to 256 CBR? Is that something through VCDS or Handbrake?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so far everyone. I've got some of the movies working that i had on an old external hard drive. Put them onto the SD 128GB card..... and some of them are working. Some are poor quality video but some are half decent. I'm guessing I just have to try and experiment and put some into hand break and make sure the output is within specs.
If anyone knows a better way or fix for this inconvenience let me know! :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
have you tried other formats ? Re-formatted the sd card ? Maybe it does need the small card have you tried that
Yes I reformatted the SD card on my mac book pro within that Disk Utility App. Changed it to MS-DOS FAT (FAT32). I have some movies working now. And music files work. Not all my movies/videos work though. I think i'll have to re-format them in a program called "Hand break". Unless anyone has a better recommendation. Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone familiar with the Program "Hand Break"? I'm wondering if you can create Chapters within a movie? When i watch a movie on the Touareg via the SD card input slot, it won't skip to another chapter. It just goes right to the next track. I'd have to fast forward which would take forever. And on some videos the fast forward option doesn't even work.

·
Registered
366 Posts
VBR (Variable Bit Rate) can use bit rates in excess of what the Touareg supports. So unless you can set VBR with a max Bit Rate, I suggest you use CBR (Constant Bit Rate). It would be a setting in any media encoder/transcoder, such as HandBrake. VCDS is not used for these operations.

What do you mean by encode to 256 CBR? Is that something through VCDS or Handbrake?

·
Registered
366 Posts
You'd probably do better on some video transcoding forums, or the HandBrake forum for help. Worse come to worse, I'd steer you towards PowerDVD (Free Trial iirc) or another product that will hold your hand through the operation.
You can play DVDs as-is, if that helps.

Anyone familiar with the Program "Hand Break"? I'm wondering if you can create Chapters within a movie? When i watch a movie on the Touareg via the SD card input slot, it won't skip to another chapter. It just goes right to the next track. I'd have to fast forward which would take forever. And on some videos the fast forward option doesn't even work.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
VBR (Variable Bit Rate) can use bit rates in excess of what the Touareg supports. So unless you can set VBR with a max Bit Rate, I suggest you use CBR (Constant Bit Rate). It would be a setting in any media encoder/transcoder, such as HandBrake. VCDS is not used for these operations.
In the "Handbreak" program under the Video Tab there is an option to select Quality as either 1/Constant Quality (it seems to be default at 10). or option 2/Average Bitrate and it's default at 2000kbps.
Are you saying i should select Constant quality and put it at what number?

Thanks!

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you're experimenting, try both. You don't have to do the whole file, just a couple minutes of it, then test it out. I think you'll have better luck with Constant Quality. The downside is it takes more room on the card.
The issue with Variable- or Average Bitrate in this case is it can go over the 2000kbps the Touareg can handle, resulting in an unreadable file. Even if you set it super low, at say 500kbps, if it hits a complex scene, it can still blow right through 2000kbps.
So safest answer is yes, Constant Quality, and I'd suggest 1800kbps. You can try 2000, should work fine.
In the "Handbreak" program under the Video Tab there is an option to select Quality as either 1/Constant Quality (it seems to be default at 10). or option 2/Average Bitrate and it's default at 2000kbps.
Are you saying i should select Constant quality and put it at what number?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts