Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright folks -

I bought my 2005 V6 treg a few months ago. I was very pleased to buy one that already had the hitch installed. Perfect.
I go to hook up my first trailer for the camping trip, crawl underneath to find the plug in for the lights... where are the lights?? There is are no F*#@ing hook up for the trailer lights!!!

So I have a treg with a hitch but no wiring to hook up the lights.
Were these things not manufactured with the trailer wiring? or at least an easy option to Plug and play?! I feel i know the answer already...

What is the best solution to add trailer lights? easily and efficiently would be nice.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
First of all, you're not adding trailer lights.... trailer lights will be on the trailer that you will tow.
There are tons of posts in this section about the specifics. Usually, you need an "adapter" that picks up on the existing plug once the blanking plate is removed. This plate is to the left of the hitch typically. This will give you the 7pin connection.

Depending on what you plan on towing, you may not require 7pin. If you only need 4pin, you'll need another adapter to convert to 4pin. If you need to control electric brakes, then you'll need 7 pin and a brake controller.

So let's figure out what you have and what you want to do and go from there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I get it, trailer lights are on the trailer. 4 pin should be all I need.

As far as I can see, there is no wiring on the vehicle for me to take the trailer lights and plug them into. Is there something I am missing?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Post a pic of what you have going one there..... it could be that you don't have the OEM hitch and that some butcher just added something and gave up part way, etc......

Try getting a build sheet from a local dealer to see if your vehicle had the "tow package" from the start.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
That looks legit. Hopefully someone with a first gen can help you out by saying what they got going on.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I would actually like to recall my legit statement... The safety chain ears on that hitch do not look like all the OEM ones so some butcher installed an aftermarket hitch on there. You'll need to get some T in harness since you only need a 4 pin to pick up on your existing tail light connections

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yep, you or someone you hire will need to do some wiring for the 4 pin connector.

It isn't necessarily a butcher job and the previous owner might not have given up, they may have just installed everything they needed. Most of the hitches on SUVs where I live (fairly urban area) are used for bicycle carriers. No wiring is required for that and I am pretty sure that aftermarket hitch would more than be up to that task.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts