Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Still in the never ending search for a toy hauler, but in preparation, was wondering what you all are using, if at all, for towing mirrors. I've never needed them with the smaller trailers I've towed so I'd need to know what you all like. I'd prefer something that isn't a huge ad on and, obviously, one that doesn't shake too much.

2017 Treg

Thanks,
Craig

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
Hi Craig,

you don't have your location /country noted in your profile, so not sure if these are available where you. I use Milenco mirrors, simple to instal, excellent field of vision and have certainly been strong when faced with the passing wash of air we experience here in Australia when a road train passes the other way at 100+kmh

Bilby did a great review of them in this thread: https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/towing-mirrors-105362-3.html

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Since I have yet to see a product that I like, I use my imagination instead of actual extended mirrors to visualize what might be there!

Not the greatest option....

·
Registered
600 Posts
I use Reese tow mirrors. I had a pair sitting around and decided not to spend a ton on tow mirrors for my first long tow. With smaller narrower (7' or 7.5' wide) trailers I found no mirrors really required. With a full width 8.5' wide trailer the Reese mirrors worked well once properly adjusted. My only complaint was during rain and since I was towing in winter when snow and ice got on them. But overall I recommend giving them a try ($25/each) compared to $300 for a set of Euro tow mirrors (which I almost bought).

They even stayed on the entire 1500 mile trip. I think I had one adjustment, but once they are set no big deal.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I tried some extended mirrors on my T1 but was tired of them folding in when going over 65 mph or trucks passing in the other lane. I ended up ordering a rear view camera system from ebay for the back of the trailer and now have no need for extended mirrors. I can clearly see what is behind me and by the time they are coming up on me to pass me, they appear in my stock mirrors. Also makes passing vehicles safer too because if they appear on camera, I know I'm clear to change lanes.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
I tried some extended mirrors on my T1 but was tired of them folding in when going over 65 mph or trucks passing in the other lane. I ended up ordering a rear view camera system from ebay for the back of the trailer and now have no need for extended mirrors. I can clearly see what is behind me and by the time they are coming up on me to pass me, they appear in my stock mirrors. Also makes passing vehicles safer too because if they appear on camera, I know I'm clear to change lanes.
I trust that is legal according to your appropriate authorities there.

As a responsible caravan owner..... I just cannot understand how people can tow an item that is wider than their own car and not have fitted mirrors which are compliant and provide the required amount of vision to (at a minimum) drive safely. How do you know there is nothing next to your towed item if you're in a multi lane road? You have no idea at all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I trust that is legal according to your appropriate authorities there.

As a responsible caravan owner..... I just cannot understand how people can tow an item that is wider than their own car and not have fitted mirrors which are compliant and provide the required amount of vision to (at a minimum) drive safely. How do you know there is nothing next to your towed item if you're in a multi lane road? You have no idea at all.
I can see a lot more of what is behind me with the camera system than when I had towing mirrors attached. And like I said, by the time traffic is coming up to the side of my trailer, I can see them in my regular mirrors. Before the camera system, it was a crap shoot to see if I can safely change lanes without someone faster coming up behind to pass me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can see a lot more of what is behind me with the camera system than when I had towing mirrors attached. And like I said, by the time traffic is coming up to the side of my trailer, I can see them in my regular mirrors. Before the camera system, it was a crap shoot to see if I can safely change lanes without someone faster coming up behind to pass me.
Sounds legit to me. I see what's beside me in the car mirrors, not the towing mirrors. Nice set up!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hi there,
Which camera system are you using? I was thinking of ordering this but am open to suggestions, preferably wireless.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Camera/Furrion/FOS43TASF.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi there,
Which camera system are you using? I was thinking of ordering this but am open to suggestions, preferably wireless.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Camera/Furrion/FOS43TASF.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have something like this, except mine has a 170 degree view camera. https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-7-LCD-Monitor-IR-Night-Vision-Reversing-Rear-View-Camera-for-Bus-RV/264244029762?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=56922&meid=d3063537bbd844c2931b8f2a83de17a7&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&sd=264244029762&itm=264244029762&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:d2fe67a7-50c8-11e9-8154-74dbd180cb79|parentrq:c0af4b961690aa48e8123078fff76b25|iid:1

I too wanted a wireless system just for the convenience of installation and not having to run extra wires from the rear of the trailer to the tongue, but found a lot of talk about signal interference back then. Since wireless signals travel in the open air, and many gadgets utilize the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies, any baby monitor, cordless phone, wireless security camera and wifi-router in the vicinity of your vehicle will cause a level of signal interference. I'm sure technology has improved in the last 4 years, but is it really worth spending that much money on a system just for the convenience of not having to run a couple of wires? Wasn't worth it for me. Also, wireless systems aren't exactly wireless since the camera still has to have a power wire in order to work.
I have an RCA cable run from the back of the trailer to the front tongue and then have a shorter RCA cable in the car. I just run the cable out of the back of the hatch and just connect the two with a female to female adapter. https://www.computercablestore.com/audio-video-coupler-rca-female-to-female?gclid=CjwKCAjwvuzkBRAhEiwA9E3FUp0Nsq2A_J71BsZqY9JyMAqglV86oqd32bp7K-QT_2Pgv2Zp_vCrqBoCSAwQAvD_BwE I make sure the cable isn't going to get pinched by the latch and have enough slack outside for turning radius and close the hatch. A power wire is also routed from the camera to the front of the trailer where it gets its power from one of the wires in the 7 pin connector.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I read elsewhere on the forum about Milenco mirrors and ran with the recommendations. Had a first run with them last week and they are excellent. Easy to fit and remove, they hold on super tight, some light shaking and clear view down both sides of my caravan. And they fold flat with the car mirrors. I imagine there are alternatives, but I have no regrets on the purchase of the Milenco (grand aero)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I should add too: I use a wireless camera on the rear my van and have little or no problems with interference or signal loss across the 7 or 8 metres between transmitter and receiver. I'm using a cheap system off ebay with a separate 3(?) inch screen. Let's me know if the cue behind is getting a little long or if someone is tailgating close, but rely mostly on the mirrors.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Picked up a wireless camera as well, Haloview MC7108. But I also just got something similar to the Milenco's...Cipa Universal Tow mirror. I mounted them on the bottom instead of the top. They seem very sturdy (static) will test them out soon on the HWY. Better than the strap kind that slide off due to the shape of the mirrors. Gonna 550 chord these to the factory mirror just in case.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,
Still in the never ending search for a toy hauler, but in preparation, was wondering what you all are using, if at all, for towing mirrors. I've never needed them with the smaller trailers I've towed so I'd need to know what you all like. I'd prefer something that isn't a huge ad on and, obviously, one that doesn't shake too much.

2017 Treg

Thanks,
Craig
Did you find a Toy Hauler?

We're picking up one of these next weekend...Travel Lite F-23TH 3,100lbs dry.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
we ended up settling for a jayco octane 161. it's pretty ok. not the lightest option but it fit the budget. tried some clip on mirrors and they were a complete waste. Put in a camera system and it's much better than any of the mirror options anyway. I can see things in the camera much past the point where they are already in my OEM mirror field of view.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi folks, I've been through three different caravan towing mirror sets and have finally reached what have been the best for my liking. They are the Milenco. I first got them when I had a 2007 Range Rover Supercharged, then my 2014 TDV6 Touareg and now the R50 which I've checked they attach fine and have no doubt they will be shake free and give very good service. I've sold off the other sets. They're very universal, make sure they're tightened very tight too, no problems. I use the bottom mount but was careful to turn off "folding mirrors" for fear the arm might clout the door when folding.

Regards

Pete.

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
Pete, we used the same mirrors on the same generation Touareg as your R50. They never hit the doors when folding the mirrors.
When traversing the Nullarbor, I used occy straps to tether the mirrors to the bonnet hinge anchor points, to give them that little bit more stability, when faced with oncoming triples/b-doubles doing the limit. Apart from that, I too endorse the Milenco product, and can't wait to use them on the R Line when next we go away with the van.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts