Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a used Touareg TDI and am unsure which year I should be aiming for.

Some basic requirements: ~$30k USD, AWD, less than 25k miles (and not driven hard), USB port(s), no mechanical issues.

When looking at different years, what sort of things should I look out for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Your parameters generate a list of recent model vehicles on CarGurus: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d205&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=47906&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true

If it were me, I would go with the newest model year and lowest mileage. The last couple of years of Touareg models didn't have fundamentally different equipment. The Wolfsburg edition is a trim package in later years, I don't consider that fundamentally different equipment.

When I was vehicle shopping a few months ago, I was looking at 2016/2017 Wolfsburgs but decided on another manufacturer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would go 2013 or newer because of the improved engine for best economy coupled with the 8 speed automatic transmission.
What he said, plus 2013 was the first year of gen 2 that wasn't bought back and people stopped maintaining two years ago in anticipation of selling it back to VW. Also, I like to buy cars off lease with low mileage in the hopes that it was returned because the lease was up rather than due to some other issue they didn't want to deal with.

·
Registered
855 Posts
If you look up the total number of Touaregs sold during those years you will find a very small number meaning there aren't many to be had. You will have to be a good detective to find what you want at those prices. BTW I wouldn't turn down a 2012 TDI. I trade mine back for the emissions buy back,but it was a perfect car, No real issues with 65K miles. Good luck

·
Registered
137 Posts
Also, these have 10 year or 120,000 mile warranty that covers emissions related components. Its comprehensive enough covering even the turbo, block, etc. A 2013 with an in service date of say, Sept 2012 would have this expire in 2022. 3 years isn't bad but depending on how many miles you drive per year you may want to see what it would take to get into a 2015 or 16. '16 Lux also comes with cooled seats, not available prior. If the budget can allow to stretch up by a couple thousand you can find these in the mid 30s with around 40,000 miles. A 2016 w/ under 50,000 miles I would consider ideal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also, these have 10 year or 120,000 mile warranty that covers emissions related components. Its comprehensive enough covering even the turbo, block, etc. A 2013 with an in service date of say, Sept 2012 would have this expire in 2022. 3 years isn't bad but depending on how many miles you drive per year you may want to see what it would take to get into a 2015 or 16. '16 Lux also comes with cooled seats, not available prior. If the budget can allow to stretch up by a couple thousand you can find these in the mid 30s with around 40,000 miles. A 2016 w/ under 50,000 miles I would consider ideal.
RobL,

That's right where I'm dealing... a 2015 TDI Executive. It seems to be the sweet spot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Keep in mind the 2016 has ventilated seats and adjustable side bolsters, but if you don't care about those the 2015 will save you some money. FWIW I bought a 2015 TDI Exec in Nov for $33k with 36k miles, at the time the 2016's with similar mileage were going for 38-40k+. I do wish I had the ventilated seats, but realistically I only need them a couple of months out of the year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts