Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Touareg TDI Sport with Nav
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get an RV Trailer to tow with my 2012 TDI.

I have been looking at 20-25ft trailers under 4500lb.
No need for many beds. It will be just me, my wife and our dog (75lb Weimaraner)

I would appreciate tips on models, brands, and also good off-road locations.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Lol thats such a broad post
There are a million types of campers out there... your only qualification is 20-25' and under 4500lbs?

Offroad points - I'd imagine across the continental states the answers would be significant as well

·
Registered
2014 Audi Q7 TDI
208 Posts
Your size ideals fundamentally excludes offroad.. think more teardrop/popup under 2k lbs.

Ive got a 20ft toy hauler and its capability to go much further past a trailhead is severely limited despite its ample clearance and 4 independent wheels.. I would have to carve out an 11ft high tunnel down the trail just to get its height clearance before I even encountered an obstacle that I cant pull it over.. see the thing is when you lift up the trailer the roof gets higher too.. so you need something the same height, and width that tracks just like your tow vehicle if you want to take it down any offroad trails.. I can take mine down logging/mining roads because those are clearanced for high vehicles, but very few trails.

Check out Intech, Ive been totally happy with mine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've been slowly researching the No Boundaries trailers made by Forest River. They range from 12' to 25' and 1500 lbs to 3500 lbs (dry weight).

·
Registered
2014 Audi Q7 TDI
208 Posts
Forest River products are pure, complete garbage, glad I spent a little more money and got a real trailer.. I almost fell for a NoBo.. the trailer I ended up with is full welded aluminum chassis and frame with an aluminum skin, sleeps 4, tandem dexter torsion axles, and I paid $22k and this trailer is going to last 2-3 decades easy, built like the german car thats pulling it.

That NoBo 16.2 pictured above cost same and has a chassis made of stamped sheet steel, wood toothpick stick frame/floor/roof, leafspring single axle, and was put together as cheap as humanly possible by the least skilled people they could find.. it would be somewhat reasonable on pavement, but if your serious about offroad it'd shake itself apart and leak all over, I mean they put a slide out on it, really? thats guaranteed to cover your bed in dust when driving down a dirt when its not leaking water.

do your self a favor and keep on looking..

·
Registered
657 Posts
^HOLY CRAP thats so fricken cool!! Never heard of them before!!

·
Registered
2014 Audi Q7 TDI
208 Posts
eh, you can order a black series camper direct from a factory in china and put it together your self for less than half what any dealer wants.. they are marked up stupid high for as cheap as they are, there's no factory support.. its like paying the price for a Lambo but getting a souped up Civic for your money.. in Australia they are the 'Forrest River' campers, cheap and disposable..

Check out Kimberley Kampers if thats the kinda money you got to spend..

If your serious about offroad trailers, check out this forum.. lots of good info that I used when looking for mine: Expedition and Overland Trailers: Retail Models

·
Registered
2014 Audi Q7 TDI
208 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts