Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make my wife's 2010 3.6 VR6 Touareg sound a little better. Not loud and obnoxious, not ricey, not droney.....just a little deeper sounding. Its mostly a family vehicle, so I would like to still have it pretty quiet in the cabin.

I've read through the forums and it looks like there are several ways people are making their Tregs sound better.....brand new full cat-back exhaust..or deleting/removing some of the factory muffler(s), or just replacing the stock mufflers with Magnaflows.

For what I'm wanting....what would be the best option? I just want it to have a little more "growl" to it from the outside, but still pretty tame sounding on the inside.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Take the big "suitcase" off the back end and fit a pair of nice mufflers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes, I have a dual in, dual out magna flow in my garage. Bought two by accident for my V8. Not sure if your v6 is the same pipe dia and true dual but if it is, Ill make you a great deal on one.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If you do a search there are a couple YouTube videos on this...one I think even has a full delete (crazy loud except at idle it sounds like a monster-fun to watch).

The comments under the various videos tell what modification was done. The best result is like said above...removal of the so called rear suitcase with a different muffler setup.

The sound would be awesome if done right as the VR has a nice note...thinking R32.

Oh be sure to post a video of your setup and sound when done, I have been tempted to do this for years.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I looked into this a while back and only found an exhaust for the Porsche Cayenne. Nobody made one specifically for the Touareg.

Can't recall the name but it wasn't cheap however it sounded awesome. VR's make the best growl.

Also I believe the Cayenne has different headers which is why it's listed at 300 HP so I'm not sure it would fit.

Another option is to see if the Passat 3.6 performance exhausts may fit with some minor modifications. There are plenty of those aftermarket manufacturers out there.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
That is what I did on my previous 05 V8, ordered 2 Borla stainless mufflers from summit and went to an exhaust shop who fabbed them up, even kept the stock tips.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Here's the Supersprint exhaust for the Cayenne VR6. Again, I believe the headers are different so it may not bolt straight up.

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's the Supersprint exhaust for the Cayenne VR6. Again, I believe the headers are different so it may not bolt straight up.

http://youtu.be/MA1f5nZSurw

That sounds really ricey.......not sure I would want our Touareg to sound like that :mad: My favorite so far are the custom systems with the Magnaflow mufflers...nice and deep, not high pitched and ricey.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think you'll need a V8 to get that deep sound.

All VR's sound pretty much like that video with an after market exhaust.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
My opinion is keep it simple: 1) Borla mufflers (or some other attractive brand since they will be very visible) and 2) everything to the rear axle should remain stock. This is what I have been tempted to do for more sound at idle and low RPM. I think the stock cats and center component (muffler or resonator) help keep out high RPM rattle. You don't want a card in the spokes sound.

I love the video too the note is awesome...love the VR, but that is just too loud for me anymore (used to have a car as loud...never again...oh the headaches I would get).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Surprisingly, the R32 is not that loud from the inside. I never changed the exhaust on the R32 since most aftermarket exhaust would drone at certain RPM's, and that is what causes headaches.

For the Touareg, I think Spiegelatt is right. It just needs a little more, not as much as the Supersprint.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
One other idea: there is a butterfly valve option (probably has a different name) that allows you to with the flip of a switch and either select stock exhaust or bypass exhaust. I have thought it would be cool to have one of these before the stock suitcase where I could divert the exhaust around the suitcase (no idea on the plumbing of this) and back into the pipe right before the stock tips.

Yeah, you would need a really good outfit with talent to do this sort of mod, but boy that would be cool (again just my opinion).

The one think I like about the ugly rear suitcase is it appears to protect the Treg well in a rear end collision...the only reason I thought this up.

Not sure any comprehensive exhaust system is actually going to produce material power gains versus just a partial mod for sound alone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
9 Participants
Spiegelglatt
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing