Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, two of my Blizzaks.. got lost. And will stay lost for a while.
I've got some Vredestein Quatrac all seasons, now the question is.. do I put my two Blizzaks in the rear, or in the front?
Hold on, don't call me an idiot yet. I know anyone would say "the rear axle", but my Quatracs do have great traction on the rear axle. My problem is not getting stuck, but this setup understeers like crazy (yeah tire pressure is good).
Would two winter tires mounted in the front help with the understeer(on snow, of course)? I haven't ever managed to fishtail the Touareg (tried, trust me), so to me it seems like the best compromise. Opinions?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
All four tires need to be the same diameter.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Never mix tires on a Touareg. And putting 2 snow tires and 2 all seasons on any car is a very bad idea in the winter.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
THAT IS A TOTAL NO-NO.

As above you MUST run with 4 IDENTICAL tires at all times - same size, same make, same model, same tread pattern and same tread depth.

And as above, NEVER mix winters and summers/all season on ANY vehicle unless you like spinning off the road or under a large truck. It's plain dangerous as the tires will have different levels of grip.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But now I'm curious. Would 2x Winters plus 2x All seasons with the exact same dimensions hurt the tranny?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Tire sizes are nominal and overall diameters in any given size can vary even with different tire models from the same manufacturer.

This is why you must use 4 identical tires as I described above to avoid transmission wind up and potential damage to the $8,000 gearbox.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
If they REALLY ARE the same diameter (MEASURED, not what's listed on the sidewall), you will be OK. But why risk it? Two different types of tires might wear differently, and 30,000 miles later you might have different diameters on each axle. Again, a bad situation.

If you must, in a FWD or RWD ONLY vehicle, they always recommend putting the newer (grippier) tires on the rear axle.

But again, put the same size and same brand tires on all four corners.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
A little additional information: The reason the manufacturers of 4-WD vehicles limit the vehicle speed when using a spare that will fit in the allowed space is because the transfer case MUST allow a certain amount of 'slippage' front-to-rear [front travels further in a turn than the rear]. Different designs of transfer cases handle that differently but in any case by limiting the speed the load on the transfer case is reduced. If you PROMISE to never go over 40 mph you will probably be all right but???

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
LOL!

Never been stuck yet!

Just point and squirt, point and squirt!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts