Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an '06 Touareg V8 with air suspension a few months ago. I used Club Touareg many times when I was researching the vehicle and for looking for looking up other info but this is my first post. Great forum!

I need a battery for my Touareg and have read through many of the threads about battery replacement. I am travelling for the next few days but will be looking to replace the battery when I return. My question concerns the size of the battery. Many of the posts I've seen used an H8/Group 49 battery. It seems several vendors' websites (Walmart, Autozone, Advance Auto, etc.) specify that size for an '04 or '05 Touareg but specify a smaller battery for an '06 (e.g., 96R). I didn't think there were any really substantial differences in these early years. Did Volkswagen reduce the size of the battery tray from '05 to '06? I didn't want to hinge the seat back just to measure. Will an H8 battery fit? If it does I was looking to order Walmart's AGM H8 and install it when I get back as I prefer the idea of an AGM battery and the price looks very good at about $140.

Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
774 Posts
Alan - every battery I've ever purchased for my Touareg's has come from the dealer (2 so far - both for my former 08) Cheapest batteries around were at the dealer (I was shocked....).

If you go aftermarket, the biggest issue you will have is height - it can't go any higher than the one in there due to it's location and the things on top of it (you'll see what I mean when you get under there). It takes a little doing to get the seat loose and tipped back, but it's not a hard job.

I'm sure someone will flame me, but in a vehicle I'm not sold on the benefits of AGM unless you are running lights or audio or something that draws a lot from the battery. They won't last any longer than a regular battery and you aren't racing it, so weight isn't a big deal either. Anyways, FWIW my thought would be to stick with a regular battery.

Good luck

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If I recall aright the reason for AGM is because the battery is inside the passenger compartment and you don't want battery acid flying around in the event of a shunt.

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
If I recall aright the reason for AGM is because the battery is inside the passenger compartment and you don't want battery acid flying around in the event of a shunt.
If the shunt is hard enough to rupture the battery box area (which you are sitting on), I fear that battery acid is the least of your current concerns! :surprise:

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Alan,

The one thing you need to watch for when installing the largest possible battery (that is spec'd to fit the chassis) is positive cable length. I ran into this when I put in the V10 TDI spec battery and had to change the positive cable to the earlier, slightly longer version:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/positive-battery-cable-too-short-05-v8-239993.html

Tray will accommodate it, cable might not.
As above, check your cable first. It would be worth it (to me) to order the larger cable (if needed) and to get the larger battery.

Current Internet Lookup gives me the following sizes for 2004-2006:

V10..H8(49) 850CCA____________V10 Rear H9(95R) 950CCA
V-8..T8(93) 740CCA
V-6..H7(94R) 640CCA

Heck, I don't think I have ever seen a T8(93) in my lifetime. Where did this thing come from? lol

Attachments

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I bought an '06 Touareg V8 with air suspension a few months ago.
Alan, Here is what was factory on my OEM 2006 V8 with air. It was an H8(49)

1 J0 915 105 AH
12V 95AH 450A DIN
760A EN/SAE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. So it looks like an H8 battery will fit and is the same length and width (but 15 mm higher) as the T8 battery that some of these websites spec for an '06. I still don't understand why some aftermarket vendor sites differentiate between an '06 and earlier models but I think I will go ahead with the higher capacity H8, knowing that nickyt had that size as OEM in his '06.

As for AGM, I've had good luck with AGM batteries lasting longer in other cars I've had, not to mention the risk of leakage. But also they are more tolerant of deep cycling than normal lead acid batteries. I daily drive my Touareg at this time of year but in the warmer months it sometimes sits for a week or two, which allows the electronics to run the battery charge down.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
AGM batteries are nice, for sure. But remember that the Touareg battery lives a cushy life inside the passenger compartment. While it still may be subject to freezing temps if left outside, it does nougat cooked in the engine bay like other batteries. For the price difference, I went with a regular sealed lead acid battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts