Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like the battery in our TDi is a bit weak...when starting, it feels like the battery isn't at full capacity.

TDI gets driven a good amount, both city and highway. Previous battery history unknown, I believe that it's the original battery, but can't be positive (haven't taken a look at it.)

In doing some searching on this forum, it appears that TDi batteries can go 5-6 years or more. If this is the original, I'm coming up on 6...

Thinking I should probably bite the bullet and replace it proactively, rather than waiting for it to go...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
465 Posts
How many miles do you have on it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had to change mine last year. Vw dealer wanted around $350 for an interstate battery. I searched these forums and a bosch battery with more CCa cost me a little over $100 at a local auto parts store.

Do a search on what tools you will need. I believe a 10 mm triple square for the seat bolts and the battery terminal bolts might be 10 mm hex.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had to change mine last year. Vw dealer wanted around $350 for an interstate battery. I searched these forums and a bosch battery with more CCa cost me a little over $100 at a local auto parts store.

Do a search on what tools you will need. I believe a 10 mm triple square for the seat bolts and the battery terminal bolts might be 10 mm hex.
I put a call into my indie mechanic. He's going to replace the battery Wednesday morning. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,572 Posts
I don't want to say how old mine is. I don't want to jinx it!! :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I don't want to say how old mine is. I don't want to jinx it!! :)
I hear ya. I just replaced the battery in my wife's 2002 Golf TDI. It was the original battery!! Once replaced, I found it's the alternator that's failing, not the battery. But the 14 year old battery is going to the recycler anyway.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I hear ya. I just replaced the battery in my wife's 2002 Golf TDI. It was the original battery!! Once replaced, I found it's the alternator that's failing, not the battery. But the 14 year old battery is going to the recycler anyway.
Shame on you!

I'm starting a Twatter campaign: #savethebattery

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I'm really amazed it lasted this long in such a cold/hot climate (-40C winter and +35°C summer). I've replaced the alternator before about 6 or 7 years ago. And I think I've had the charger on this battery a couple of times. But otherwise it just kept going and going.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Original battery, dated 2009. Don't have final price yet for Indie mechanic R&R. Car is still in pieces. :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$380 out the door at my Indie (parts and labor). He charged me a bit more than I could have picked up a 95R battery for at a FLAPS, but not having to deal with a half day of taking the car apart, hunting down a battery, etc., it was well worth it. I've been going to this guy for 25 years and he's always taken good care of me (usually at very reasonable prices too...). He did the R&R today on short notice, while I waited...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just replaced my original battery last year at around 65K miles on my 2010. Had trouble starting when it was sitting for a while and my back up camera stopped working. Dealer said it was due to low voltage in the battery which causes the camera system to not boot up. Best deal i could find for price and warranty was through Batteries Plus. I did it myself and it didn't take very long. Hardest part was lifting the large old one out.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts