Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,456 Posts
I believe last time the mechanic said this might be the issue already unplugged it. Right now it doesn’t work anymore.
From what I am reading, this mechanic is not competent to do electrical diagnostics. It is an art and not all mechanics are able to do it.

If you have a functioning kessy and unplug it, the vehicle will not start.

Only the kessy with the touch door handles goes bad and drains the battery. If you don't have the touch door handles, you need to be looking elsewhere for your drain issue.

If you have bad kessy, you will get antenna errors on the vcds scan. When the battery drain gets bad, it will kill a battery overnight.

Fixing a kessy is what, about $25 worth of parts. The tough part is finding someone to solder the new parts on the old kessy's circuit board.

The way you find out if your kessy is bad is by scanning it for errors. If you have no antenna errors, then it is something else draining the battery.

A good shop could easily find the battery drain culprit in a couple of days.

A VCDS scan can tell you if it is the kessy antenna issue, as the kessy will post an error.

· Banned
3,312 Posts
Is there a way to test if the alternator is the culprit?
Put the amp meter on, disconnect the alternator cable.... if your draw reduces, you've found your issue.

· Registered
568 Posts
Put the amp meter on, disconnect the alternator cable.... if your draw reduces, you've found your issue.
So looks like then RR door central locking button is finally shorted out, hence my battery drain.

VCDS fault
Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 7L0-959-933.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 7L0 959 933 J
Component and/or Version: HSG 5115
Software Coding: 0000085
Work Shop Code: WSC 31414 000 00000
Additional Info: 7L0959701H Tuersteuergeraet FS 0201 7L0959702H Tuersteuergeraet BF 0201 7L0959703D Tuersteuergeraet HL 0201
Additional Info: 7L0959704D Tuersteuergeraet HR 0201
VCID: 4385707501E7249C5F-4B00
3 Faults Found:

00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)
000 - -
00488 - Rear Right Outside Door Handle Central Locking Button (E372)
007 - Short to Ground

And here is what is the response on ross-tech for a similar issue:

· Registered
74 Posts
All of the above are good suggestions.
Here are the fixes worked for me.

· Registered
568 Posts
I pulled the plug, but now the door will not lock even by using the remote. And I get the following message
00931 - locking module for central locking - RR (F223)
008 - implausible signal

I will see how my battery fares overnight, if this works I am golden but I would like to be able to lock the door.

Does anyone have a wire schematic to see which wires I can pull from the plug to disable the handle but be able to lock the door.

The plug i pulled has 3 wires from position 1 - 3 and the one on position 6. Then one wire on 7 and 4 wires from 9 - 12. All in all there are 9 wires. Attaching the image of the connection i pulled

Attachments

· Registered
2016 TDI Lux
565 Posts
It shouldn’t disable your central locking, just the Kessy button in the handle. On a 2005, there was a smaller separate plug from the one that went to the locking mechanism iirc. Hopefully someone has the schematic for you.

· Registered
568 Posts
Ok so I got a used replacement the handle, the button is working fine, tested with multi-meter. My question is, if I install the new handle will it start working right away or do I have to make some adjustment with the VCDS? Please let me know.

One thing is strange, the wire connector on all the handles I have seen is different than on my Treg. I have one connector that has all the wires for the lock and handle, where as all the ones I have seen come with a connector which only has space for wires from the handle.

· Registered
1 Posts
Did you fix the battery drain? Our 2005 V8 has the exact same problem. We haven’t been able to fix it for years. I’ve been looking for this information for years! I guess I will start with the Kessy door buttons. Thank you guys.

· Registered
568 Posts
During the battery drain issue, I noticed that the brake paddle would feel stiff, same feeling as loss of vaccuim, when I would put my foot on it to start the treg after being parked long enough for the battery to drain. But now with the battery issue under control, the paddle behaves normally.

Can someone tell me why this happens?

· Registered
123 Posts
From what I am reading, this mechanic is not competent to do electrical diagnostics. It is an art and not all mechanics are able to do it.

If you have a functioning kessy and unplug it, the vehicle will not start.

Only the kessy with the touch door handles goes bad and drains the battery. If you don't have the touch door handles, you need to be looking elsewhere for your drain issue.

If you have bad kessy, you will get antenna errors on the vcds scan. When the battery drain gets bad, it will kill a battery overnight.

Fixing a kessy is what, about $25 worth of parts. The tough part is finding someone to solder the new parts on the old kessy's circuit board.

The way you find out if your kessy is bad is by scanning it for errors. If you have no antenna errors, then it is something else draining the battery.

A good shop could easily find the battery drain culprit in a couple of days.

A VCDS scan can tell you if it is the kessy antenna issue, as the kessy will post an error.
Computer Personal computer Font Handwriting Communication Device

Do we feel confident that antenna errors mean a kessy module issue? AKA unpinning the door antenna wire will not solve the issue?

After solving my battery drain stemming from my rear passenger door black button shorting out (I unpinned the wire) it seems a new annoyance has sprung up as my battery is dying again.

This time with the front passenger door antenna. Interesting how these fault codes appear in module 5, but it is actually module 46 where you can view live data for the components.

Strangely, while you can view live data for the little black button, you cannot do the same for the antenna. Can anyone confirm the same observation?

Does anyone know if the antenna can be a cause for battery drain? My Kessy makes clicking noises, so I know it’s likely failing, could it instead just be the kessy module tripping things up, or is my best solution unpinning the antenna wire as well?

It’s a shame because while the black button on that door is inoperable, the keyless entry works flawlessly.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts