Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R Line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new to the forum this might seem to be a silly question does anyone know where the battery level indicator is on the 2016 R Line. Since lockdown the cars been sitting for a while when I tried to get into it the other day doors wouldn't open with keyless entry tried the fob still no luck changed battery in fob still the same took the key out of fob eventually got access and got the engine started I'm looking through the menus for battery info as there's no dial level indicator I'm thinking if I can find the battery gauge I can see how much powers it has lost. Is there anyway to check the battery level without having to open the bonnet and put a test meter on it doesn't seem to be any info in the hand book. Would appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Once you got it going didn't you just drive to Durham to charge it up and then detour to Barnard Castle to check your eyesight?

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Modern vehicles are too computer and electronic heavy to sit for an extended period of time. I would not trust any modern vehicle to start if it sat for longer then 4 weeks with a brand new battery or 2 weeks if it has an average used battery.

If you are leaving a vehicle sitting for longer than 2 weeks, it needs to be on a battery tender or battery conditioner.

There are many volt meters available. Some of them just plug into the +12V plug and you remove them when not needed. Others can be wired up permanently to the car. Or you can just a hand held meter and check when you need to.

If a battery is in good shape, you can get a decent idea how charged it is by just the voltage.

Remember that both a current and voltage test is required to truly know the health of a battery.

·
Registered
2016 R Line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Modern vehicles are too computer and electronic heavy to sit for an extended period of time. I would not trust any modern vehicle to start if it sat for longer then 4 weeks with a brand new battery or 2 weeks if it has an average used battery.

If you are leaving a vehicle sitting for longer than 2 weeks, it needs to be on a battery tender or battery conditioner.

There are many volt meters available. Some of them just plug into the +12V plug and you remove them when not needed. Others can be wired up permanently to the car. Or you can just a hand held meter and check when you need to.

If a battery is in good shape, you can get a decent idea how charged it is by just the voltage.

Remember that both a current and voltage test is required to truly know the health of a battery.
Have now got it on a trickle charger but still on modern cars there should be a visual way of checking your battery ie onboard menu or instrument cluster.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R Line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)

·
Registered
341 Posts
An alternative is one of those mileage trackers that plug into your OBDII port- Most of those will read MIL codes on the fly and send alerts to your phone. I had Automatic, which I liked, but they folded. Have Bouncie now, and just today it sent me an alert the battery was low. Pretty slick.
Not sure which, if any work outside of the land of Freedom Units, but you can probably search your local flavor of Amazon for OBDII mileage tracker and read the list of features.

·
Registered
2016 R Line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I got the carista obd2 great little dongle managed to do a few tweaks with it turned off drl's and mirror tilt when reversing couple of other minor adjustments only thing that didn't come up was battery level

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yeah, that's not quite what I'm talking about, but those are handy. This is what I was talking about, looks like it does work in UK. Not sure about Hobbiton or the land of ten thousand ways to die. I use mine to keep track of miles and fuel for business expenses. You can also use it to mind family members, remember where you park, etc. It connects via cellular, so it's always reporting and uploading. Also minds the MIL and sends you warnings.

Yeah I got the carista obd2 great little dongle managed to do a few tweaks with it turned off drl's and mirror tilt when reversing couple of other minor adjustments only thing that didn't come up was battery level

1 - 10 of 10 Posts