Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the front battery used for and what are its functions and what is the rear battery used for and what are its functions in a 2004 Volkswagen V10 tdi?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
what is the front battery used for and what are its functions and what is the rear battery used for and what are its functions in a 2004 Volkswagen V10 tdi?

Crap you opened up a can of worms there lol.
There are plenty of previous discussions on here in other post to provide information on this question.

Ill hate myself in the morning but the front battery is the main starting battery.

regards
Drag

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
730 Posts
You need to read the ssp 298

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_298_d1.pdf

Bought the ssp set for the Touareg several years ago to understand the problems I had with the 2nd 2004 V10tdi I bought. Long story short, it has been my practice to replace both batteries when I bought my used v10's and that seemed to cure most issues. Then I bought a weatherproof Battery Tender for each battery and charge them when they sit for a while.

Again, this is what worked for me. Others have different opinions on what works best for them....

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The rear battery starts the car whilst the front battery assists and runs the consumers.

If the rear battery is dud, the front battery can start the car by being economical with the consumer items.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
LOL!

We are back to consideting if the VW engineers - the guys and girls who designed and built the car - have written up a Self Study Programme that is completely amd utterly wrong . . .

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
LOL!

We are back to consideting if the VW engineers - the guys and girls who designed and built the car - have written up a Self Study Programme that is completely amd utterly wrong . . .
It has been known to happen now hasn't it? I tend to side with Drag. I'm fairly sure I traced the wiring diagram in Elsa plus it makes no sense to run high current draw all the way from the back when the front seat is half the distance. Other aspect is that other than V10 the rest only have a front battery so for uniformity you would assume the front battery is the main with the rear as the ancillary. but as you say Nooby it may be the other way round for some weird reason. John

·
Registered
336 Posts
LOL!

You would hope that our friends in Germany new how it was wired, but I think that maybe it's incorrect based on the same logic as mentioned above...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes, I agree, the logic that we might apply ref the front battery seems logical to us, then then who on earth would have ever thought of shoving a monster V10 diesel in what is probably, in most cases of it use, a school run shopping trolley?

If the SSP merely said what I wrote above, then there might be a possibility someone had a brain fart, no one else spotted it during proof reading, and it became VW's official output on the matter never to be corrected or withdrawn.

However, the SSP is very detailed and not at all the kind of thing that got knocked out at the end of a long day and passed for press without a second glance.

If any of you still think that VW don't know how to write up the systems they developed and built, then there's not much hope for any of their output!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
In logging starting voltages (with fresh batteries) I observe the rear battery does the heavy lifting.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can one retrofit the rear battery? It would need with battery the battery tray in the boot and cables from front battery. Also there shoud be a relay or something to control stuff. I remember seeing it in the fron battery pics. Also might need some coding. Am i right?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes, you can retrofit but not to the same intricate level as the V10 [and see my last sentence] without a lot of work and quite a few parts.

There are several threads on here and on www.mytreg.com where people have added a battery to run caravans and the like.

I understand that the second battery was an option for certain cold countries including Finland!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes it is an option. It had something to do with heater version. Additional heater had one and parking heater two batteries. Maybe. At least it would be a huge help having two after converting additional to parking heater.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts