Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching this question with no luck. Is there a way to disconnect the battery earth without lifting the seat etc. I want To do some work on my exhaust and don't want to fry my electronics whilst welding.

Any help would be great thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Disconnection of your battery to protect the vehicle electronics during welding is an urban myth. In fact having power on a device with an know electrical potential is far more stable than having a circuit "open" where it may pick up induced current from other sources.

Some years ago I had two laser printers installed when a lightning strike took place, the one which was powered and running survived without issue the other which was plugged in but unpowered was fatally damaged due to the lightning strike ( hit the actual house).

I have also performed a number of welding job on my Touareg's exhaust and other small parts and had never had an issue.

Trust me , I am a vegetable..!!!

Stu...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ty Stu. I suppose as long as my earth stays close to the job in hand why would there he an issue

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
yes, just lift the plastic at the base of the seat, you will see it.

Reactions: Whirly

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Reactions: Whirly

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you are going to disconnect the battery, I would lift the hot and ground it to the chassis. Lifting the ground does nothing but turn the whole of the electrical system into an antenna. Exactly what you are trying to avoid.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
If you are going to disconnect the battery, I would lift the hot and ground it to the chassis. Lifting the ground does nothing but turn the whole of the electrical system into an antenna. Exactly what you are trying to avoid.
Exactly! Nice to know somebody else understands these things ;-)

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is absolutely no problem- disconnect the ground cable in front of the driver seat and isolate it. Do the same with the starter batterie in the trunk (for V10). I mean in both cases the cable mounting point at the chassis, not the battery connectors itsself- so the driver seat remains unchanged.

After finishing your work reconnect. You will have some error messages but they will be gone after some seconds of driving (Steering angle sensor, air suspension). No loose of radio stations, codes or anything...

I have done this many times in my 10 years of "V10 life" (two cars)

br
Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts