Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, my new to me 2004 v8 Touareg (180kmiles) is having battery issues. The PO (my stepdad) replaced the battery in March 2018. I don't drive it very often, and it regularly sits for 2-3 weeks at a time.

The Treg wouldnt start about 3 weeks ago, after sitting for about 2 weeks. I thought maybe I left a light on or something. I charged it and drove it a few hundred miles over the weekend with no problems, the parked it. A few days later i checked it and battery was completely dead (4.2 v). I realized that I accidentaly left the headlights on for 2 or 3 days!

I put the charger back on, and then ran the battery conditioning cycle on my battery charger (took about 24 hours). The Treg sat for 4 days while I was out of town. Today, the battery is down to about 4v again. I'm assuming I killed the battery with the 3 day headlight drain, but want to check all options before I replace the battery again.

I read about a problem with the battery to alt cable. I found a note from PO that the says in 2007, with 70k miles: Recall done: N5 = Air Cleaner and Alternator wiring. Is this the battery to alt cable issue that I read about? If so, would it have gone bad again? If not, how big of a job is it to fix the battery to alt wiring?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hpcaub

Thanks for the battery change link, Noobytoogy. Treg is parked in my driveway, locked up, with keys in the house about 40 feet away. I'm not sure what a Ctek is, but my charger has a "conditioner" mode that I tried to use. I suspect I damaged the battery beyond repair by leaving the lights on. I'll probably hookup a trickle charger quick connect after I get a new battery, so I can keep it charged when sitting for weeks at a time.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
727 Posts
There is a lot of things that can cause a draw. Best to start with a known good battery and see if you have problems after a good battery is in place. From there a search on this forum can show the main places to check and explain what vcds is and how to use it for tracking down problems.

If the radio is not stock or even if it is and you are still having a drain issue you may want to pull a few fuses for the radio and see if that helps. Also make sure that the battery is the correct size. I had a car with the wrong size battery and it caused a world of issues!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts