Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 V8
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Following an old post: Consumer Electronics...
It means either your battery or charging system is failing and you'll likey experience a no start condition in the very near future. It would be wise to look at you voltometer and see if it is charging at 14volts which is the magic "good" number...anything less and you have problems coming soon.

To answer your question, Consumers are any of the many electrical controlled features that draw electrical current...when you Treg senses there is a voltage drop it tries to keep the bare minimum of electrical draw on the system so you can keep driving safely. Get it checked out and likely they'll replace the battery and/or one of the electrical wire harnesses.
Here is my question:
I got the "Consumer electronics turned off". I have a new battery but have a kessy problem I haven’t addressed yet. In the meantime, I have a switch attached to the fuse to “turn off” the kessy drain. However, when I come out in the morning, I turn on the fuse switch and start, the volts are at 12+ (now getting down to 11 - yikes, why) for about 3 minutes and then it slides up over a couple seconds to 14 (sweet spot). If I leave it off for a couple hours w the fuse switch on, it will do the same thing but go to 14 sooner.
1. Yeah, I know, fix the kessy... trying to isolate the problem there.
2. if I unplug the doors, will that fix the draw separate from the kessy issue? (I did disconnect my drivers door - just the electronics)
3. What other ways to isolate the draw down on the battery?

I don’t have my VCDS yet. (Yeah, only buying from Ross-Tech - comes on March 30th).

edit: just went for my first drive today. Started at 11v then is slowly dropped, errors about everything started popping up, cluster screen turned off and the volts dropped to 8. Wouldn’t change gears. Limped along for a bit and was about to call my wife to rescue me and “ding” everything returned. Jumped up to 14v, screen returned, only normal errors showed and was fine. Still wouldn’t change gears so when I stopped. Turned if off for a minute, restarted and started driving normally again.
Thoughts?

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
903 Posts
You need to check the alternator. May be the draw...

·
Registered
2004 V8
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay...

Thank you to @Blownvette for the Alternator idea. Had my mechanic over and we stuck the trusty Snap-On tester for the battery and ran it through it's paces. The Alternator is toast. Once Rockauto ships my new one, I have a weekend project thanks to the other great DIY'rs here.

Here is my question: I removed the negative, put a multi-unit on the post and negative wire and waited for it to go to sleep while sitting inside.
  1. What should my sleeping draw be?
    1. Amps started - before sleep - at about 6.5amps
    2. After 5 minutes, it went to 3.8amps or so
    3. I have a switch on the kessy fuse and it was 3.6amps with it off and 3.8 with it on
    4. For some reason, the inside lights stayed on - I thought I had them set (could have reset) to 15 seconds
  2. Why would my interior lights stay on after 5 minutes? Me sitting in there? weight? Movement? Comfort setting?
  3. Does anyone have the parts numbers for the o-rings for the alternator? Even my dealer had trouble finding them... and they came in a pack of four... shouldn't there be five?
    1. two in alternator
    2. one for the other end of the J hose
    3. two for the other ends of that funky split hose
Now that we know it's the alternator, I'm hoping many of the errors will go away (consumer electronics, running gear, etc)

Love the help in here. Please share all advice you can. Lots to learn for me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
  1. Why would my interior lights stay on after 5 minutes? Me sitting in there? weight? Movement? Comfort setting?
If you turned the vehicle off, pulled the key out (or just pushed the button) but didn't open the door, it may be what GM calls RAP - Retained Accessory Power. Not sure what VW calls it. This is the feature that keeps the radio on and other things alive for a time after vehicle is shut off until a door is opened or it times out. (I do hate that my Treg doesn't keep the radio on when I turn it off. Is there a setting for that? The phone function of the radio will stay on if I'm talking via BT and turn the vehicle off.)

If you retest, try opening the door then closing it to see if things change. I bet the lights go off sooner.

·
Registered
2004 V8
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright! Alt swapped and running at a nice 14.8v. Used my VCDS to turn off the warning for TPMS - one less warning. Digging in on the running gear fault now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts