Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Since November I have some problem with my battery, especially on cold day and when I didn't use the treg for few days. I went to a local garage (since the nearest vw dealer is about 250miles from my house) to have a battery check, the battery was weak, then we charge it and test it again, it wasn't much better, about 300amp DIN on 450amp DIN when it was fully charged. Then since it was the original battery on a 04 treg, I decided to change the battery for one having the same spec than the varga one.

About two week later the car didn't start on cold morning as with the original battery. We tested the alternator that was showing a good 14V.

Then I decided to check the amp used by the car when all the system was in sleep mode (I disconnected the negative pole cable of the battery and connect an ammeter from this cable to the battery).

When all the system was asleep I was able to read 0.13amp, about just normal. Then I waited few minute and I saw the ammeter showing 3 to 3.4 amp for about 20-30sec, then dropping to 1.5amp for 1minute, then dropping again to 0.6amp for 3 to 4minutes and then going down to 0.13. I waited about 2-3minutes and the same cycle restarted over and over. Then I decided to remove fuses from the car one by one (there is 114 of them...) to find the system that was draining my battery. I found that it was the radio... or one of the system connected to it.

Since I removed this fuse I take a look to my voltmeter in the dash and for 2 days it always shows above 12.5v (usually after a day or two it was dropping to 11.5v or lower)

Here are my information about my radio

VW Radio Navigation S2
7L6035191E
MCM/SH 4826R / 4310 / 0102
SW-CoPro 4722 / 4722 / 4722
HW-HU E2 / 0635
SW-Navi 390.23/ 967.07 / NO ROM
HW-NAVI 1002 / 26412 / 0000
DB-NAVI 791.02 / 791.13
T-Guide

I don't have subscription to on-star system
I have the 2008version of Navigation map
AV Source is set to A+V, but nothing connected to it
AUX source is set to Audio, nothing connected to it neither
I have a CD Changer with 6cd
No After Market product connected

It is a 2004 V8 with all the stuff, I called my VW service this morning and they asked me to bring the car to the dealership. Since they are at 250miles from my home I'm trying to fix it by myself if it is possible.

Does anyone have a clue about what could be wrong with my radio?

Thank alot!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey jfmador!!
what u have descibed sounds really similar to the problem i had before.
Just so u know i have the 04 V8 as well and month agoi took it in to the dealership, they said the Navigation was draining the battery and so was the overhead compass module.(i will get back to you about the exact info when i get to the recipt). so anyways they flash the navigation system and replaced the compass module and it's been fine.i had a option to replace the compass module or disconnect it because it cost 250 dollars.
everything adds up its about a thousand dollar job(i am in canada so everything is more expensive, they also charged me two hour labour diagnostic which was 115/h)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info, I'm in Canada too and they charge about the same... It is why I try to fix my thing myself, I also want to thank Tahoe for his web site I followed the instruction to change my battery myself. I will do the same for the brake and other stuff to repair.

Also the treg is not a common car in my region then each time you send it to the dealership, the tech is most of the time at his computer looking for a resolution or some schema, last time I sent it a whole day to repair the rear park sensor and they didn't find the problem, once i was at home I removed the rear bumper and the park sensor wasn't connect to the car...

I was wondering if you can check something for me, could you compare my radio version to yours?, on the Radio you have a button Info, then you should be able to see all the radio, nav software and hardware version. I tried to get this information from a service manager today and he told me to bring the car to the dealer so they can take a look. But I only want to know if there is a newer version than the one I have. Then I can probably go to the www.vw.ddsltd.com to order a cd or something like that

Thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a message in my mfi for headlight check range or something like that, is it what you got? I don't know if it is related to my battery drain and sensor that doesn't respond correctly because of too low voltage and dead battery in the car...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've read almost all post talking about battery on a treg on the web, I took a look to my nav system and the TSB about the nav update for those who are under version 0635, but my treg seems to be already updated.

I also took a look to my compas as w84 told me, but it seem to work ok, because it is still activate, I didn't remove the fuse for it and I have no drain anymore (with my radio fuses removed). Maybe it is the link between the compas and the radio, but there is now way that I can be sure.

I'll keep you inform after my next appointment to my dealership.

·
Registered
75 Posts
vw touareg v8 2005 I have exactly the same problem Does anyone have a clue about what could be wrong ?
I too have a 2005 V8 Touareg that would run the battery down if it was not driven regularly. My problem was a Kessy module that kept the entry/lock system awake at all times and using power. Replaced the Kessy module under the CPO warranty and all is good. This is definitely another possibility.

·
Registered
5 Posts
JFmador,

Thank you for the advice about the radio, I have had starting my touareg for a week, twice a day to prevent drain battery.
3 days ago, I pulled out the Fuse of radio, everything comes normal.

Regards,

Los Cabos, Mexico
CABOGUY

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello to all, i have the same and the unit is under repair. The problem is that the unit is not shutting down when turning off the Touareg and this is because of the Navigation's unit power supply as reported. Waiting to find the part.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The problem was from the cooling resistance inside the radio as it wasn't shutting off after stopping the car (as they told me), got it fixed since almost two weeks and everything is working great (cost me 50$ and was very happy for that i figured it will cost me much much more than that)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with the "kessy" module. Controls the alarm system. When I locked it up for the night, the system kept unlocking and relocking until the battery was dead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just started having this problem as well, sometimes when I lock and turn on alarm it turns off almost immediately and last night I noticed that the nav system was still on after a week - obviously the car wouldn't start. Am replacing the battery this weekend and will try removing fuse, thanks for the info

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2004 V8 started draining overnight a few weeks ago, even after putting a new battery in. I've solved, kind of, by pulling the radio/amp fuses out, but now have no radio. Nervous to bring it in to be fixed after hearing fixes being as much as $1,000 on this thread.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would be eternally grateful if someone could give me a small tutorial on what the Kessy module is and it's function. I have had this problem with my 04 V6 Touareg for about 4 years. It has been the most vexing ever and one of the reasons I have decided to sell it. I wish I had checked the forum about two months ago. I have had two differnt VW mechanics from St. Maarten look at the care (I live in the USVI and no VW dealer) and two mechanics here and neither of them could tell me what the problem was. I do not have a NAV in my vehicle. However, I do know that at times the alarm/locking systems seems to "pop" and go on and off at night. Sometimes, when I drive it, I also noticed the speakers seem to pop. About 6 months after I bought my vehicle, I had it re-wired so the remote would work at longer distances and thought this might have been the cause but it seems that it is the Kessy module and/or the radio.

Any input would be appreciated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts