Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
"My 2012 T鈥檙eg is still running the original battery, but if I don鈥檛 drive for 2 weeks it cranks over real slow but still starts! 馃槂"

One cold morning soon it will refuse to start due to excess voltage drop to the electronics, I would replace a 10 year old battery soon rather than try to get a few more days life out of it and then have all the hassles of replacing it in an unplanned way in a rush at probably a higher cost as little chance to shop around

cheers
Rohan

Registered
All you guys that don't drive much should get acquainted with trickle chargers. These car will have a battery drop dead after a certain number of yrs and leave you stranded. I had it happen to my 2012 with a 6yr old battery that seemed fine, NOT happening again to me. I trade the battery out after 6 yrs and a load test to see how it is doing..If it fails the load test it's replaced.

Registered
So here's an interesting thing. I noticed the slow cranking occurs ONLY when the car is warm and been driven for longer distances. It starts fine cold in the morning. The battery is charged and reading 12.55v at rest. So maybe it's the starter?
Going to an electrician next week.
Aha! My car did exactly that too. Jump starting from a running car helped but not from a fully charged battery outside of a car.

It drove me mad for three years, I thought my car just ate batteries.

It turned out to be the brushes in the starter motor getting stuck in the holders making a bad connection. You could see on the brushes where they were sparking.

I fitted a $20 brush pack and it works better than it ever did even with the old battery.

Registered
2012 V6 TDI Sport
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Aha! My car did exactly that too. Jump starting from a running car helped but not from a fully charged battery outside of a car.

It drove me mad for three years, I thought my car just ate batteries.

It turned out to be the brushes in the starter motor getting stuck in the holders making a bad connection. You could see on the brushes where they were sparking.

I fitted a $20 brush pack and it works better than it ever did even with the old battery.
Very interesting, I'll keep that in mind if this problem ever comes back 馃榿

Registered
2012 V6 TDI Sport
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It went away did it?
It did, but still when the car is cold in the morning it starts like with one crank turn, but when the car is driven in the city during the day, it starts with 2-3 turns, not sure if this related, but nevertheless no more slow cranking.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts