Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Touareg Lux TDI, 2019 Passsat R-line
881 Posts
What issue are you trying to solve by using an expensive lithium battery vs a less expensive SLA or AGM battery? I prefer money in my pocket, less flammable batteries, and the extended reserve capacity of an AGM, so that's what I went with.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it turns out there is not a deal of difference in the price. There is a huge difference in weight. The Treg battery with start stop is an AGM and apparently a big one. The same one used in the Cayenne. The lithium however will not **** itself by letting itself run dead flat. The BMS turns it off before anything bad happens. This all happened because we went away over winter and the car was left alone for over 3 months. The new battery I installed before we left is now pretty much cactus.

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,965 Posts
Interesting read, seems like they have a good offering, and hope the product will live upto it.
I dont know of anyone who has replaced their existing battery with Lithium. Sure some have used Lithium batteries to power ancillaries.
Are you planning to go ahead and do it? Will be good to know how you go. The weight savings and the extra power atleast theoretically makes sense.
The only real concern is how the Touareg charging module will behave towards this type/spec of battery.....

·
Registered
881 Posts
The AGM for the Touareg is half the price of that here in the US, unless you are comparing installed price at the dealer to uninstalled price not at at the dealer.
Put the Touareg in Transport mode if you're going to be storing it for a while- it keeps the battery from going flat.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Put the Touareg in Transport mode if you're going to be storing it for a while- it keeps the battery from going flat.
I know that is used when vehicles are shipped around the world but don't you need an outboard power supply to maintain the battery for that to work?

tonyB

·
Registered
881 Posts
It shuts down all the parasitic loads on the battery. Basically turns it into a 'dumb' vehicle. If your battery would normally last the span of time out of the vehicle, it should do the same in the vehicle when in transport mode. If it wouldn't make it with no load (battery out of a vehicle) it won't make it in the vehicle either.
I know that is used when vehicles are shipped around the world but don't you need an outboard power supply to maintain the battery for that to work?

tonyB

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Good to know, thanks.
Do you know how to get it into "transport" mode?

TonyB

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,965 Posts
Vcds

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just left the Touareg sitting in the garage for 5 weeks and it fired up just fine on return (7yo battery). Planning a 10 week trip away next year and don’t have VCDS to enable transport mode. Does anyone here use a battery maintainer in these circumstances or are there any issues in using one? Was thinking about a quality charger like one of the Ctek units.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re your original post Tim, I would be very interested in the outcome, especially if you opt for the lithium battery. I probably won’t replace mine until it starts to fail, but I figure that I will need one within the next couple of years.

·
Registered
428 Posts
@RocketTech ... are there instructions available on setting "Transport mode" could you please provide if you know?
(I have searched the forum and found several references but no instructions, or is this a push button setting in VCDS only)

I really hate talking about batteries, batteries (just like home appliances) all belong to the same union and will fail en-masse if slightly offended or just when you feel overly confident of success!

I am planning to hibernate for the remainder of our summer/spring, the car (and I) will be out of action for several months whilst my ankle enjoys the company of a moon boot. I do have a suitable charger which I could use, and will likely be able to manage the ambiance of diesel fumes in the garage accompanied by the dulcet sounds of the v6 if really desperate! Just don't want to lose a battery to sitting idle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm looking at replacing the battery in my 7P 180 TDI. I was wondering if any one has replaced their AGM battery with a lithium one? I came across this in my wanderings and thought it might make aa suitable replacement.

Lithium Car Battery 12V Stop Start 1420amp 60Ah | iTechworld
Hi Tim, Have you, or anyone else fitted the Lithiums to your Treg. Mine is a 2009 R50 and I need to replace my batteries now. Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
236 Posts
The transport mode button is in the driver side door pocket just push and hold for a couple of seconds

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I can't see anything in my 7L drivers (RHS) door pocket, would it be model specific, in what model did you see it?

A bit of conflicting posts above, has anyone actually used it in an aged (old) vehicle?
If anyone has, have you found any befefits from using this feature as it seems to me its only designed for new vehicles during the transit period from production to resale by dealer.

TonyB

Reactions: gatkins

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mine is the 7p not sure if the 7l has it or not shouldnt be that hard to find out owners manual should list any transport mode buttons

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Thanks, I don't recally ever seeing anything in the 7L manual regarding transport buttons, the only thing I do recall is that there is a connector (or mention of) in the underfloor battery box to which a temporary power supply is connected to maintain the battery in the shipping/transport phase from factory to dealer, not sure if factory fitted or fitted by the contract carrier or wholesaler.

Possibly for those looking to keep batteries going in long term storage it may pay to look for that connector and connect a small maintenance cherger <1A to float the battery rather than to use the jump post under the hood, but I doubt there would be any real advange to shorten the cable distance by around 1 metre however there may be seeing we are only using a small 800mA charger or there abouts.

Possibly someone with good 12VDC technical knowledge may add their thoughts as I'm always looking to learn even after three score + years.....;).

TonyB

·
Registered
428 Posts
@Colin G
I have a hatch release and a button for safety lock in the drivers door.
Didn’t see anything else, could you be more specific please?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Tony as stated i dont know about the 7L it may be a power source plug for when you are changing the main battery to keep radio and clock settings while the main battery is disconnected i dont think they would remove the seat and plug in a power source for transport
Regards
Colin

1 - 20 of 26 Posts