Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot on here even some of it provided by me, but I have a problem that I will describe and wait to see hints or help.

So about a month or two ago I started to get consumers switched off messages, this is usually an indicator the the battery under the seat is dying or cell dead. I just stuck the charger on under the motor cap/bonnet/hood to recharge it. But after testing with a multimeter I decided that (as Nooby suggested) the batteries were suspect.

So I bit the bullet and bought two new Duracell batteries and fitted them, like a plonker I got the wrong size battery (too long) for under the seat or in the back, so two more ordered this time right size. Total time to replace both batteries about 30 minutes.

Since then I have noticed that when I start the engine, the voltmeter goes straight up to between 12 and 13V. I can rev the engine (V10 Diesel) but the voltmeter stays where it is that is until I drive off, after about a minute and when I go through the gears and revs climb to say 2.5 thou then the meter climbs to about 14V and stays there.

If I leave the car for 2-3 hours come back start it up and bang straight to 14Volts. Now the question is what the hell is going on. either the alternator/generator is slowly dying, bad earth somewhere? or maybe the ECU still thinks it is in some sort of shut down mode to get me home. I have seen a message at one point (before battery change) that it was switching off the airco ? in winter I don't have it it switched on.

Any words of wisdom here as unless I have to I don't want to rip the inlet manifolds off unless I really have too too cold here right now.
[-o<

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
If I remember correctly there was a tread some time ago talking about needing to tell the electronics that the battery/s had been replaced otherwise the electronics would still deliver a reduced charge that was in place for the old and failing battery.

I do remember that at the time there wasn't a consensus that if fact it needed doing, bit foggy on the details but the new battery's serial number had to be keyed in somewhere reset the charging parameters.

Sorry for the lack of detail but you may be able to track the tread down.

TonyB

Edit:

This is what I was thinking of but it only seems to need doing in the current gen Touaregs.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f80/vcds-after-battery-replacement-152561.html

Reactions: Ians touareg

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes, there was some chatter about using VCDS or similar to tell the car it had new batteries but it seemed, from recollection, to refer to some Audi models.

I do not recall anyone coming back with a how-to and there are plenty of people who have changed their batteries without talking to the car afterwards [other than to swear at the frickin' thing!].

Someone recently posted the charging sequence/time for V10 batteries immediately after a start - again from recollection, I think the starting battery in the boot/trunk gets first dibs for about 20 minutes, whereupon the car has a little check on the battery's status and then decides what to squirt juice into next.

Ian - do, please, use your aircon for at least 10 minutes once a week to move the lubricants suspended in the refrigerant gas about in the system otherwise, come the summer, you may find seals have dried out with expensive consequences.

That advice applies to any car with aircon.

I never turn my aircon off.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tend to use it most of the time, as we don't have air con as such but air something else can't remember the name so it heats as well as cools to maintain the desired temp,so I leave mine on auto all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts