Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thank you everyone for your engagement and suggestions.

I have a good idea on where I am going with this. Tending towards a portable auxiliary lithium battery. Car will be wired from 12V battery and fitted with an isolating switch to protect from accidental battery drain. Anderson Plugs will connect to trailer and also allow solar charging to trailer and auxilliary battery. May also fit a DC-DC charger that will fast charge the battery at 25Ah to 42Ah depending on model and need. Makes sense to look at adding extra output options to future proof. Electrician said that doing the job at once will save time and money. While the portable brake controller option is a practical solution, I have found consistently positive reviews of the Redarc Pro Elite Brake Controller. The car is a long term investment and someone told me many moons ago never to share your wife or car!!! I'm extending that to off-road camper!

My tow hitch was installed by the dealer and also blocked the sweeping foot sensor. I will wait for my first service and get them to fix it then. It is not a deal breaker, but would be bloody handy when loaded grocery bags or boxes and needing to open the rear door.

My research also revealed that lithium batteries can be used to draw 80% of their power compared to 50% in traditional batteries. They can tolerate quick charging and have significantly higher number of recharging cycles. The cheaper lithium batteries seem to have inferior monitoring and protection systems. It is better to go for more expensive options - you get what you pay for.

I will still research the portable options as the quality of inputs and outputs need investigation. If people have pointers to the best portable boxes please share your experience and insight.

The trailer will be also equipped with a Sine Wave Inverter. Some days I think 1000W is sufficient while on others I wonder about 1500W or 2000W to future proof again. We don't need a toaster, microwave, coffee machine or hairdryer which require a large power draw. However camera batteries, notebook computers and phone charging will be required. Fridge, Water pump, radio and led lights seem well catered for with the 12V system. We might invest in a compressor as rough Australian track and sandy places will require letting down the tyre pressure. The camper comes with a 190W Redarc Solar Blanket and reports from others suggest that with mindful attention that is enough to keep the batteries full on long stays off grid.

I would also be interested in your experiences with fridge slides and storage draws that will fit into the Touareg.

Cape York is on the agenda as are some bits of Australia we have not seen. Looking at being safely self-efficient. Might even need to use it to keep safe from the pandemic ;>

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is not a hybrid. The hybrid is not released in Australia. The 2019/20 Series 3 has incorporated advanced technology that has implemented the 48V system to meet continuing energy saving requirements and to wiring requirements practical. See the article linked above.

My disappointment is that a German company cannot make more detailed manuals/website that can help users make informed decisions. It should not be this hard to get hard (rather than opinionated) information. It is easier to get information about a gas BBQ.

I am not trying to do the wiring job myself. I am trying to make an informed decision so that I can prepare the car to tow a trailer to Australian standards and spend my money wisely when choosing what I need and who can do it. VW dealerships and service divisions struggle to know their own vehicle. For example, adding a tow bar disables the rear sensor that allows users to open the back hatch with a sweep of a foot. Is there a fix. Surely this could have been avoided. I also note that the prices of using VW service is over-the-top. Add to that the fact that our local dealer was complaining that he could not get mechanics to stay long enough to become qualified -not to mention that he was not prepared to option the car the way we wanted it. Informed, we made the decision to go elsewhere.

However, the car is great. The decision to go the R-line was really worth it. The handling and performance is amazing.

I've got a 2019 Launch Edition. Had a Redarc Tow Pro Elite and Anderson Plug along with a VW towbar installed by VW. All work including the opening of the tail gate with a foot sweep (has to be just under the distance sensor just to the right of the towbar.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds great.
Yes to the compressor. You’ll need to let your tyres down on corrugated roads.
On the inverter, decide what you want it for and do your numbers. 600w is more than enough for laptops, charging cordless appliances, even an electric blanket - none of it over 150w. But it would draw 50A at full power. Yes to the pure sine wave and a quality brand like Projecta or Redarc. Remember that at 2400w you would draw 200A at 12v - that’s serious battery capacity (eg 2 Lithiums) and solar panels (eg 500w).

·
Registered
910 Posts
Is it just two of you travelling or do you need the rear seat?

The previous administrator of www.mytreg.com set his car up for desert travel by fitting a second battery in the footwell behind the driver's seat, removing the rear seat and boarding out the load space to take fridges, boxes and a full-sized spare.

But his accommodation was a tent on the roof!

·
Learner
5,088 Posts
Easy open is disabled when tow bar is fitted, to prevent the door opening onto the trailer, etc. Similar to remote opening when trailer is connected.
Surely this can be managed via vcds.
Don't have a cr around so can't help figure it out for now

·
Learner
5,088 Posts
Thanks Singh, Do you have recommendations for the Battery Box? That is certainly one of the options. I need Anderson Plugs to charge a dual battery Redarc system in an Ultimate Off-Road Camper. I have room in the spare tyre under the boot to fit a second 12V battery. However the portable option will allow solar blanket charging via Anderson Plugs. We will have a freezer/fridge in the car (on and off camping trailer). So wanting wiring to stop main 12V drain and maximize off-grid camping.

Often VW dealerships use auto-electricians for some of their work - at least in my area. We have had several VW vehicles and have learnt as the VW service have moved to up-selling tactics. While new to adding auxiliary batteries to Touaregs, the process of buying this car revealed lies and deception from the local dealer. Ended up with a better deal through brokers. Service centre servicing of GTI Golf got ridiculous when when they pressured to change wiper blades and charged for rotating wheels of GTI. Then it got to months wait for normal service with excuses. Finally forced to go to another mechanic who was authorised to work on VW and simply did the services and rotated the wheels. Registration was straight forward and they even changed a blown indicator light at no charge. Why? We were loyal customers. Local guy building trust vs multinational who saw us as an opportunity. To be fair, we serviced other VWs in VW service centre close to our former home and they were excellent. However, even there, things changed when they were forced into VW service models. I also know that mechanics were rewarded for successfully recommending repairs. When we stopped using our local dealership/service, two months later I was called and they said they they realised they had a problem and admitted they had lost a lot customers.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that where possible get all your servicing down through VW and make sure you do it. However, let's not waste money and trust the up-selling. It is not about service, it about making money. Also I have no intention of doing my own electrical work. An informed decisions means I am making the choice. You get what you pay for. Better to pay more for quality and satisfying outcomes. Hi quality brands like Redarc matched with high quality batteries might lead to better outcomes in the bush. That certainly the case when we lived in NW Australia. At that time a flat battery, bad wiring and ill-maintained vehicle could lead to death. Sadly that is what happened to some people who ventured into the Pilbara during our time there.
Hi mate,
Plenty of options, you can google a d lookup or drop by, I am in Sydney as well, happy to chat and show you what I have.

Reactions: Steve_L

·
Registered
MY18 (P7) - Black V6 TDI Touareg
124 Posts
Easy open is disabled when tow bar is fitted, to prevent the door opening onto the trailer, etc. Similar to remote opening when trailer is connected.
Surely this can be managed via vcds.
Don't have a cr around so can't help figure it out for now
@Singh there is a separate issue with Easy Open, that is the function ceases to work after fitting the towbar.
The safety aspect of preventing it from working when the trailer connection is active is something else.
This I believe is due to the sensors/antennae behind the bumper needing to be adjusted/tuned/moved, probably to allow for the large amount of steel now sitting close to the antennae.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,109 Posts
I think all the questions are going to be answered when @evaddirb gets his towbar installed onto his CR Launch Edition. Then the great unkown will/should be revealed to all ;)

·
Learner
5,088 Posts
@Singh there is a separate issue with Easy Open, that is the function ceases to work after fitting the towbar.
The safety aspect of preventing it from working when the trailer connection is active is something else.
This I believe is due to the sensors/antennae behind the bumper needing to be adjusted/tuned/moved, probably to allow for the large amount of steel now sitting close to the antennae.
I don't think so (happy to be wrong) it's a safety issue, with towbar on you don't want people swinging their leg and hitting the bar or the tongue, hence vw disable it.
If you want it to still work then it's a vcds fix, similar to turning on 'remote' open ( via key fob) when trailer is connected.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you everyone for your engagement and suggestions.

I have a good idea on where I am going with this. Tending towards a portable auxiliary lithium battery. Car will be wired from 12V battery and fitted with an isolating switch to protect from accidental battery drain. Anderson Plugs will connect to trailer and also allow solar charging to trailer and auxilliary battery. May also fit a DC-DC charger that will fast charge the battery at 25Ah to 42Ah depending on model and need. Makes sense to look at adding extra output options to future proof. Electrician said that doing the job at once will save time and money. While the portable brake controller option is a practical solution, I have found consistently positive reviews of the Redarc Pro Elite Brake Controller. The car is a long term investment and someone told me many moons ago never to share your wife or car!!! I'm extending that to off-road camper!

My tow hitch was installed by the dealer and also blocked the sweeping foot sensor. I will wait for my first service and get them to fix it then. It is not a deal breaker, but would be bloody handy when loaded grocery bags or boxes and needing to open the rear door.

My research also revealed that lithium batteries can be used to draw 80% of their power compared to 50% in traditional batteries. They can tolerate quick charging and have significantly higher number of recharging cycles. The cheaper lithium batteries seem to have inferior monitoring and protection systems. It is better to go for more expensive options - you get what you pay for.

I will still research the portable options as the quality of inputs and outputs need investigation. If people have pointers to the best portable boxes please share your experience and insight.

The trailer will be also equipped with a Sine Wave Inverter. Some days I think 1000W is sufficient while on others I wonder about 1500W or 2000W to future proof again. We don't need a toaster, microwave, coffee machine or hairdryer which require a large power draw. However camera batteries, notebook computers and phone charging will be required. Fridge, Water pump, radio and led lights seem well catered for with the 12V system. We might invest in a compressor as rough Australian track and sandy places will require letting down the tyre pressure. The camper comes with a 190W Redarc Solar Blanket and reports from others suggest that with mindful attention that is enough to keep the batteries full on long stays off grid.

I would also be interested in your experiences with fridge slides and storage draws that will fit into the Touareg.

Cape York is on the agenda as are some bits of Australia we have not seen. Looking at being safely self-efficient. Might even need to use it to keep safe from the pandemic ;>
Do you have a full size spare? Towing a trailer with a space saver is illegal.We recently sold our Touareg and had a full size spare in the rear area of the car just in case of a puncture Something to consider if you are out in the back of no where.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Do you have a full size spare? Towing a trailer with a space saver is illegal.We recently sold our Touareg and had a full size spare in the rear area of the car just in case of a puncture Something to consider if you are out in the back of no where.
We are investigating the spare wheel issue as well. We always travelled with two spares in the Pilbara when we lived there in the late 80's early 90's. Actually had to use both within 1km back then. The sharp rocks were notorious for slicing side walls. Remember the day well. It was after a rare storm and we went to s.ee the cascading water falls of the ancient rock on a track out of Tom Price. It was around 40C and on the second change found Aboriginal Art on the rocks nearby.

The standard tyres on our Treg are okay for around city and national parks around us. However, I think we will have to look at more rugged hybrid tyres if we go on the rough tracks. We may travel to Cape York next year with a group, so that is not an immediate issue.

The big question is where to put it? Our Camper will likely have a roof rack, but that will be a pain to take on and off each time we camp. Internal option may work out the best.

We will mostly travel with just the two of us, so back seat down will work. Just focussed on the wiring of the care at the moment. The trailer is being built for delivery in December, so plenty of time. This step is making sure we get the wiring spec'd to allow reasonable options. You get what you pay for and quality electrical fitting come at a hefty price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Agree about your spare tyres.
If you do a sidewall you can’t repair it, so you’ll need a new tyre. Good luck with that outside the cities.
When we travelled outback with a Pajero and Kamper, we took 3 full size spare wheels with tyres, 2 were on a roof rack. We did about 5 tyres in 40,000km, 2 in 2 days in Limmen NP. They can be very temperamental- some are fine on some terrain and fragile on other roads, while other tyres can be the opposite.

·
Registered
MY18 (P7) - Black V6 TDI Touareg
124 Posts
Re space saver when towing
  • Good common sense. YES (understanding tyre speed / load rating)
  • Urban Myth/Legend regarding legalities? Maybe myth love to see the relevant law if anyone knows that.
Currently sitting in an RAC caravan towing session and the advice is that this isn't a law they are aware of.

·
Registered
2015 R-Line
24 Posts
Telephones did use 48 V but at a few milliamps whereas the energy stored in these capacitors is capable of supplying a few hundred amps at 50v or more. I'm just saying be very cautious working on that! The phone won't bite you, this will!
Gotta pick you up on that - not to argue but its misinformation. Yes 48v is toward the upper limit of what's classed "Very Low Voltage". Human body impedance at 50V is around 45kΩ even if one stick an anode in your mouth and a wet toe/finger on the cathode, your impedance will only drop to around 23kΩ - well above any danger.
However, I have seen a guy's fingers blow off when he shorted a standby battery setup with a spanner that vapourised - but that was 250mm of lump of metal with 0Ω resistance.

Even a 9v battey will give a bad experience put on your tongue with 18mm between anodes, but its your saliva that's providing the path.

The 5 German marques decided that 60v was the upper safe limit, thus 48v was the sweet spot with a 54v overvoltage capacity. This is also where most retail consumer use LED Arrays & Drivers top out, as consumers' safety measures are minimal.

That being said YES fiddling with ccts with "supplementary" loads, or while charging taking place is something best left to experts. Some modern DC charge cycles can be appear quite random in volts, amps, reverse pulse and even have AC elements depending on battery composition.

·
Registered
2015 R-Line
24 Posts
try this...It's the drivers side panel, and pretty sure it corresponds with the 2015 R Line
Thanks, I can't believe the Service Manager said that it would be $85Aud for an OZ outback essential. Ok its only 50km max to the nearest VW Stealer on Germany - but it can be 500km in Oz.

It would be 1-3 extra pages (or a supplementary annotation) to the 500 page manual, which devotes 5 pages to filling the fuel tank.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts