Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've been following for a while but first time posting. Greeting from the Blue Mountains near Sydney Australia.
We have a 2019/20 Touareg R-Line and are preparing it to tow an off-road camper that is being built. While looking at options for installing an Anderson Plug and Brake Controller I discovered the Battery under the Driver floor and the 24 Volt Battery in the rear of the car.
I understand that starter battery is 12V but am wondering if members have any details about how it relates to the 12V auxilliary system? What does the 24V do and how does it relate to the 12V Battery?
We are considering installing a Lithium Battery to run our 12V/240V Fridge/Freezer from the car within the same circuitry as the Anderson Plug. The Camper has a fridge that is connected to a Redarc power management system in the camper. So we want to be able to run the car fridge without the trailer and without draining the starter battery (not sure how it relates to 24V battery). When the car is towing the trailer, we want to be able to charge the trailer batteries and the extra car battery.
I would be grateful if someone could point me towards a web site or documentation that can provide information about how the Touareg electrical system works or what isolation and protection systems are built in,
For those in the Sydney area or Penrith area, I would be grateful if you could recommend a reliable auto electrician who would be able to work on a Touareg. ARB Penrith seems phased by it being a VW and needed to research a response to my request to install Anderson Plugs etc. He was also very sceptical that it could be 4-wheel-drive capable.

·
Registered
2014 V6 TDI 180kW with Interior Comfort Package and Sunroof
47 Posts
I think you will find that the battery in the back is in parallel with the front one thus being 12 volts. This then doubles the amp hour output(assuming 2 batteries of similar output) but the voltage remains at 12 volts.I imagine VW would have a relay between the 2 batteries so that if 1 drains down to a certain point the system will isolate one from t'other so that you will still have sufficient cranking power to start the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you will find that the battery in the back is in parallel with the front one thus being 12 volts. This then doubles the amp hour output(assuming 2 batteries of similar output) but the voltage remains at 12 volts.I imagine VW would have a relay between the 2 batteries so that if 1 drains down to a certain point the system will isolate one from t'other so that you will still have sufficient cranking power to start the engine.
But the second back battery is 24W. Can 12V Batteries be connected to 24V batteries? If you are correct then we don't need to add another battery.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I've never heard of a Touareg with a 24 volt battery in the boot before.

The V10 had two 12 volt batteries, one up front and one in the boot, and it was possible to spec the same set- up for other Touaregs in some markets such as Scandinavia but they would both be 12 volts.

Did you buy the car new?

What options were specified?

Can you post a picture of this battery?

·
Registered
MY18 (P7) - Black V6 TDI Touareg
124 Posts
Agree didn't know there was a 24v battery however I found the following item in my VW Build sheet, not sure if that is relevant?

135 D43 VWGROUP MOT 6-cylinder turbo diesel engine 3.0 l/180 kW (24V) V6, TDI common rail base
engine is TF1/TH1/T41/T43

·
Registered
165 Posts
Agree didn't know there was a 24v battery however I found the following item in my VW Build sheet, not sure if that is relevant?

135 D43 VWGROUP MOT 6-cylinder turbo diesel engine 3.0 l/180 kW (24V) V6, TDI common rail base
engine is TF1/TH1/T41/T43
That stands for 24 valves. 6 cylinders x 4 valves per cylinder.

Nothing to do with batteries

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
From reading the literature on the CR Touareg, which I'm assuming you have, I think you'll find it's actually a 48V battery, consisting of high capacity capacitors. It is charged by a 12-48V DC-DC converter running off the main 12V system. I understand it can run in reverse and supply power to the 12V system should that battery have insufficient charge to start the engine. Be careful if you do any work on the 48V system as that voltage is starting to get serious for DC and there's a lot of energy stored in the 48V system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry second battery is 24V.
Sorry I should have waited until I could view the owner's manual as my wife had the car. The rear battery is actually 48V!

Also someone forwarded me this article which may be helpful to others: New Volkswagen Touareg SUV offers pneumatic suspension coupled with electromechanical roll stabilization; 48V and supercapacitors

So the 48V Battery related to the latest model and is used on stabilisation roll bars. So that should not be tampered with. A second battery or addition of an Anderson Plug should be connected to the 12V battery under the driver floor. Still not sure if there is cabling already in place to the back of the car, but since there is a 12V power plug already there, then I think it is already wired. This should make it easier for the Auto electrician to add a second battery with isolator etc.

I also have found that Redarc brake controllers are well regarded. However, there is an alternative invention from Australia: Portable Electric Brake Controller | Elecbrakes Pty Ltd

Further research came up with a company that can integrate a rear trailer camera into the infotainment centre along with an alternative navigation system: Touareg Archives - Advanced ICE

·
Registered
910 Posts
Now we REALLY need a picture....!

Originally no one at a VW dealer was allowed to work on the earlier Hybrid Touaregs without undergoing a 2 day training course due to the high voltage system so, as has already been said, don't mess with the 48 volt system!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now we REALLY need a picture....!

Originally no one at a VW dealer was allowed to work on the earlier Hybrid Touaregs without undergoing a 2 day training course due to the high voltage system so, as has already been said, don't mess with the 48 volt system!
This is not a hybrid. The hybrid is not released in Australia. The 2019/20 Series 3 has incorporated advanced technology that has implemented the 48V system to meet continuing energy saving requirements and to wiring requirements practical. See the article linked above.

My disappointment is that a German company cannot make more detailed manuals/website that can help users make informed decisions. It should not be this hard to get hard (rather than opinionated) information. It is easier to get information about a gas BBQ.

I am not trying to do the wiring job myself. I am trying to make an informed decision so that I can prepare the car to tow a trailer to Australian standards and spend my money wisely when choosing what I need and who can do it. VW dealerships and service divisions struggle to know their own vehicle. For example, adding a tow bar disables the rear sensor that allows users to open the back hatch with a sweep of a foot. Is there a fix. Surely this could have been avoided. I also note that the prices of using VW service is over-the-top. Add to that the fact that our local dealer was complaining that he could not get mechanics to stay long enough to become qualified -not to mention that he was not prepared to option the car the way we wanted it. Informed, we made the decision to go elsewhere.

However, the car is great. The decision to go the R-line was really worth it. The handling and performance is amazing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry I should have waited until I could view the owner's manual as my wife had the car. The rear battery is actually 48V!

Also someone forwarded me this article which may be helpful to others: New Volkswagen Touareg SUV offers pneumatic suspension coupled with electromechanical roll stabilization; 48V and supercapacitors

So the 48V Battery related to the latest model and is used on stabilisation roll bars. So that should not be tampered with. A second battery or addition of an Anderson Plug should be connected to the 12V battery under the driver floor. Still not sure if there is cabling already in place to the back of the car, but since there is a 12V power plug already there, then I think it is already wired. This should make it easier for the Auto electrician to add a second battery with isolator etc.

I also have found that Redarc brake controllers are well regarded. However, there is an alternative invention from Australia: Portable Electric Brake Controller | Elecbrakes Pty Ltd

Further research came up with a company that can integrate a rear trailer camera into the infotainment centre along with an alternative navigation system: Touareg Archives - Advanced ICE
I use the Elecbrake system. Van is 2.6Tonne on the back of a 2016 Element. Have towed it c20,000kms and the brake system is flawless. No wiring on the Treg required. Operates on a mobile phone in a cradle or remote device that you can buy in the package. The plus is you can tow the van with any car that is capable of towing the weight and you don't need to have a hardwired brake system installed.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I know it's not a Hybrid!

But the same caution applies: 48 volts can give you a very nasty belt.

You could always try spending 10 euros and spend an hour downloading everything you will need to know about your specific car from here:

You will need your VIN before you start.

I can't guarantee you will find the towing info you seek but at least you will have a clear picture of the electrical set-up on your car which might set you on the right - and safe - track.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Renaldostheold, as Tommi T mentioned, go to the site he sent the link to and you can access the manuals and, if you don't need quite that detail, the Self Study Programmes for the various systems in the new Touareg, which at least give you an over view of the systems in the car.

The fitting of the factory tow bar doesn't affect the operation of the rear hatch by swiping your foot. It still works.

There is no heavy gauge wiring to the rear of the car from the battery under the drivers' floor, other than to the fuse panel on the left hand side, which will be for other systems. The wiring to the power socket in the rear is only for 10 amps to that socket, and wouldn't be sufficient for what you need if you're planning on using an anderson socket.

There is a socket in the battery box which has power, ground and the brake 'trigger' wire in it for the trailer brakes, but you'll need to run your own additional wire to the rear spare plug (which connects to the flat 7 pin trailer socket) for the actual trailer brakes.

·
Learner
5,088 Posts
The 48v battery in the back is for suspension only, leave that alone 😀👍
Same as the q7.
Hookup any aux power needed to the battery under the floor or connect a second battery.
V10 has two from factory but for the V8 I have an AGM battery in a battery box which has all sorts of connectors and gets charged when the engine is running, easy

Reactions: evaddirb

·
Registered
92 Posts
You have spent a decent amount of money on the car, I would strongly suggest you spend a fraction more and get the dealer to fit an Anderson plug so you can safely tap into the electrical system for your fridge.... These (most modern) cars are very complex and the slightest mistake could brick the car and cost you $1,000's in repairs not to mention seriously risking your warranty.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Pulled the trigger on a genuine OEM tow bar, wiring harness, Trailer module & module bracket for the MY19 CR.
Comes with comprehensive fitting instructions and unique activation coding.
p/n are 760092135A, 760055202A & 760907179

1 - 20 of 56 Posts