Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the cold weather arriving and questions about dying batteries posted now on a daily basis, I had the idea to conduct a small survey amongst Touareg owners about how long their batteries lasted.

So, please anyone interested, tell me how many years and miles your battery/batteries lasted, what brand it was, and - if you don't have that in your signature and don't mindig giving up that info - in what model (R5, V6, V8, V10, etc) and year Touareg you were using it. If you're living in a non-mediterranean climate (like extremely cold or hot), then please specify that. I'll start first.

As you can see in my signature, I have a T2 R5 from 2008, which will be 10 years next spring, and only had to replace recently the original OEM battery it came with. So, mine lasted about 9.5 years and about 200,000 kms (125,000 miles). (And even now I didn't replace it, because it literally died on me, and wasn't able to crank the car anymore, but because with the arrival of colder weather voltage levels dropped quickly below 12.5 Volts after the car has been stopped, and so my dashcam, which was supposed to record even while the car was parked, shut off automatically after a few minutes, to prevent the battery from discharging below said limit.)

Car: Touareg 2.5 TDI - 2008
Battery: Varta 85 Ah, with 450 A CCA (7N0 915 105 A)
Lasted: 9.5 years, 200,000 kms
Climate: mediterranean

So, how long did your last, what brand was it, and what model (and climate) were you using it in?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Reactions: Gnits

·
Registered
09 TDi
534 Posts
I bought a Bosch AGM yesterday to replace the Duralast that died Monday while the dealer was programming a new FOB. It had a date stamp of 4/2011 so it served its time and then some

Reactions: Gnits

·
Registered
273 Posts
I never replaced the batteries on my 2010. They weren't holding a charge well recently. I hadn't been driving it much though waiting for the buyback. I gave it to VW this week.

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg Moonlight Blue
5,550 Posts
2006 v10, still on the original battery for the starter one in the boot.
Changed the auxiliary/consumers battery ie under passenger seat after 9 years. Was going ok but changed early before a big outback trip

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
This question has been raised a number of times before across several threads over the years.

Typically the T1 and T2 OEM Varta batteries were good for 7 years.

Some died earlier, but quite a few have gone on for a lot longer with 13 years in one case if I recall aright!

However I'm not sure the T3 and T4 batteries will match this especially, I think, if fitted to stop/fart cars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Casa 3.0tdi battery varta oem last from New(2008.11) till August od 2017 ...123k km odo

Wysłane z mojego SM-N950F przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg Moonlight Blue
5,550 Posts
Just replaced mu original 2007 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI today. The battery lasted 14.5 years.
I think given the two battery setup the V10 take the cake for me too.
Sold it recently and it still had the original battery from 2006!
For the 7P it has been 6 years and still going strong.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My 2012 V6 TDI died in 2017,probably because we didn't drive it on long enough trips and often enough. I now know that you have to put the battery on a trickle charger at least once a week,if not more to extend the life of this battery. We live in NE in summer and FL in winter,so the car isn't subjected to extreme conditions.
BTW I traded the 2012 back to VW for a new 2016 TDI fore less than $2000 all in. I'm a happy camper. LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts