Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am trying to create a list of instructions (mainly settings as per terrain) which are required for off-roading. After i have a complete list i will create a new thread for everyone to easily understand as per terrain (Sand, Snow, Mud, Rocky and wet)

So i request all the experienced tregger to help me out with this.

Below are few questions but please feel free to ask more questions.

1) PSI for (Sand, Snow, Mud, Rocky & Wet)?
2) How/when to use the Central differential lock?
3) How/when to use the Rear differential lock?
4) How/When to use the low gear in the Noob next to the gear box in different terrain's?
5) When going uphill best settings to keep (low gear, High gear or use triptronic?
6) When going to downhill best settings to keep (low gear, High gear or use triptronic?

I know the questions can be a bit vague but answer as much as you can.

Thank you

·
Registered
618 Posts
1) PSI for (Sand, Snow, Mud, Rocky & Wet)?soft Aussie sand as low as 12psi , rocks/ mud around 22psi , with 275/65x18 mt tyres mind you.

2) How/when to use the Central differential lock? Steep incline/declines , heavily rutted rocky sections.

3) How/when to use the Rear differential lock? Dont have one dam it.

4) How/When to use the low gear in the Noob next to the gear box in different terrain's? low range?? i use for steep ups or downs and thats about it.

5) When going uphill best settings to keep (low gear, High gear or use triptronic? I just let the car do all the driving, its such a smart gearbox you are very rarely caught out by it not selecting rite.Terrain dependant I go for low range and locked it is steep and or wet.

6) When going to downhill best settings to keep (low gear, High gear or use triptronic? Depends on the terrain , steep wet muddy i go with low range and locked it makes the ratios nicer and the motor does more braking for you.

One of the most important thing is the disengaging of esp , which i do all soon as i hit the trails. be they rocks mud or sand.

I very rarely use tiptronic or flappy paddles , I havent and very rarely see the need for it.

Whenever I go for low range I always lock the central diff as well.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much alex gee for the quick reply. Very interesting i have never used my central differential lock. i though its only to be used when you are stuck.
And also when ever i go down hill i have used my tiptronic on 2nd or 3rd gear. will try your method for sure next time.

other with experience please add your suggestions. i cant wait to create a chart for help everyone in the future

And alex step one of off-roading... turn off esp

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Low gear very helpful in snow and icy roads while driving uphill, ESP off too.. Sand, depends on tire dimensions but deflate the tires so you can see that the side wall of the tire is deflective.. But all in all good and proper tires will do the job without changing the settings..

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Tiptronic is excellent for holding a gear to control your speed on slippery downhill sections otherwise, most of the time, unless the terrain is exceptionally challenging in which you are possibly more likely not to attempt it in case you damage the car, the Touareg can stay in D and you just point and squirt!

Sometimes people try to make going off road far more daunting than it need be.

Sand is the one thing I don't do because the stuff gets everywhere and, if beside the sea, saltwater is not friendly!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tiptronic is excellent for holding a gear to control your speed on slippery downhill sections otherwise!
Thank you noobytoogy useful info. But u should try sand it's fun

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I got caught out on a beach once with the tide coming in.

Thankfully a party of about 20 folk had decided it was such a lovely evening they would walk the beach before dinner and they pushed me back to the hard standing!

No sand for me!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol I understand my friend got stuck in situation once scary

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi

could i get some more input from the experienced off-roaders out there for this thread.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
PSI for sand 10-12 psi, rocks 10-18, mud 16-20, snow and rain leave highway pressures 32-35.

Center lock engages only in low range. Low range is used when you want more control of acceleration with less throttle amounts. Low range should NEVER be used at high speeds. I use low range in my treg when I'm on rocks, trails, as anytime you need to keep wheel speed down with the most torque available. Mud and snow, leave in high range, as you generally want faster wheel speed to keep forward momentum. I use low range and the center lock up steep inclines or declines.

I also enjoy sport mode, which is especially effective in low range over rocks and trails, as the throttle response time is quickened allowing more vehicle control over extreme obstacles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
snow and rain leave highway pressures 32-35.
If the OP has factory 19" wheels the pressure needs to be 40 in the front and 46 in rear. Look inside door jamb to see what your tire pressure should be for everyday driving.

·
Registered
44 Posts
1) PSI for (Sand, Snow, Mud, Rocky & Wet)? this greatly depends on your tire and rim combo, i would not suggest any lower tires pressures for street tires as they are not designed for it (weak sidewalls).
2) when to use the Central differential lock? when ever you are navigating difficult terrain (mud, snow, sand, rocks, hills)
3) when to use the Rear differential lock? when more traction is needed (ie you start to have wheel slip, climbing over rocks, deep snow, ice, and so on)
4) When to use the low gear in the Noob next to the gear box in different terrain's?
5) When going uphill best settings to keep (low gear, High gear or use triptronic?
6) When going to downhill best settings to keep (low gear, High gear or use triptronic? lowest gear possible

now here is a question do you have an owners manual? does it say anything about offroading in it?
I ask the question becuase my landrover has an extencive section on offroading. now i know its a landrover but if there are offroad settings the menual would say somthing about when its best to use them and how too..

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I am not sure, VW wants the drivers to explore things :)..

4) I use Low gear when having an icy uphill start, or want to go down a very steep muddy hill and I engage it at least once a month because LOW RANGE CAN FAIL IF YOU DON'T USE IT OFTEN find a nice soft terrain and drive a few meters in low range.

5) Deppends on how steep is the hill, when dry and very steep the best thing is to go with high gear slowly with tip-tronic engaged in 1st speed. If you have a very steep muddy/icy hill also high because you need some extra wheel spin, and esp off. Rocks low range, so you have time to see whats in front you and don't risk to damage something.

This settings worked for me, I am not a passionate off roader but i do get the treg sometimes dirty, and I LOVE sand driving.. :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I use Tiptronic too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
now here is a question do you have an owners manual? does it say anything about offroading in it?
I ask the question becuase my landrover has an extencive section on offroading. now i know its a landrover but if there are offroad settings the menual would say somthing about when its best to use them and how too..
The manual for my 2012 has a section on off-road driving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts