Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up a Touareg that made a horribly clattering noise from the driver's side cam chain tensioner. I come from a long line of Audi's so I know the noise quite well, the interesting bit was that it didn't make the noise on start up, only once it came out of it's cold start map and the SAI pump shut off did the noise begin. I probed the connector to the CCT and sure enough it was only at just over 10, upon initial startup when cold it's at 14. As a little science experiment I went ahead and put a wire into the ground side of the connector and connected it to a good ground on the engine, sure enough no more noise, engine sounds great. this ia all well and good but I want to figure out the actual issue at play here, there is likely a short that could cause other issues so naturally I want to get to the bottom of it.

After doing a bit of research on there I found this thread, *** can't post link because I don't have 5 posts yet, thread title is - 04 touareg V8 cam timing chain tensioner ***

Guy has the exact same issue but never actually figured out the underlying problem.

Also of note without putting a good ground to the CCT I have one code in VCDS,

17936 - Camshaft Timing Adj. Bank1 (N205)
P1528 - 004 - Open Circuit - MIL ON

This is a code for the OTHER CCT, related? Maybe but that one doesn't make any unwanted noise...

With the extra ground in place for the CCT that's rattling away I get the following codes,

17943 - Camshaft Timing Adj. Bank2 (N208 )
P1535 - 002 - Short to Ground - Intermittent - MIL ON
17936 - Camshaft Timing Adj. Bank1 (N205)
P1528 - 004 - Open Circuit - MIL ON

As you can see it now also shows a short to ground for the one that I hooked the wire up to... which doesn't entirely make sense to me...

At any rate any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm very mechanically inclined and have built a lot of cars in my day but electronics are not my strong suite. Also does anyone have an engine wiring diagram for the 4.2, I can't find one anywhere and I haven't picked up a Bentley manual for the Touareg yet.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Is this what you're looking for? IMG_1010.jpg IMG_1011.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts