Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I’m new, this is my first post. I just got an 04 toaureg and I love the car.

I do have the TPMS system fault error but that’s to be expected. Other than that the car has been meticulously maintained and cared for.

However, one (actually two) notable omissions are a backup camera and ultrasonic sensors when backing up. I have an idea for a solution but since it didn’t come with an owners manual or electrical system schematic I’m in the dark and don’t want to hunt them down at the moment.

The goal: use the existing navigation/radio tuner head unit as a display for newly installed backup camera when vehicle is put into reverse as well as have ultrasonic parking assist while in reverse only.

The idea:

At the rear of the car, tap into reverse lights wires to power the camera and ultrasonic sensors (so that they are only active when vehicle is in reverse).

The question:

How would I set up so that only when the car is in reverse, will the display switch to the camera view? Is there a wire that is responsible for the display that can be switched with a 12v SPDT relay between standard view on normally closed contact and camera view on normally open? If so, could I power the coil side of the relay from the backup light wire at the fuse box (for 12v power to relay only in reverse, closing the normally open (backup cam) contact)?

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Careful tapping into the reverse lights for power. The vehicle monitors the bulb circuit to notify you if the bulb is out. That signal can mess with anything you try to hook up to the light. A relay might solve the problem, but I'm not sure.

Short of an EO retrofit, a wireless camera is often a better solution. You might be able to find a head unit that accepts a wireless camera. I don't know if there is a traditional "reverse" switch attached to the gearshifter, since it is (mostly) controlled by magnets and sensors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s that touchy, huh? I wonder if anyone has any experience, ie. Actually done this before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have also heard that the wiring is very touchy as well. I am going to attempt to install my wireless rear view mirror this weekend. I will be using a t-tap to connect to the reverse wire. I will let you know how it goes. BTW I am using a rear view mirror wireless back up camera.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts