Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever tried or looked into upgrading their backup camera? I have a 2015 TDi and the camera is definitely less than impressive. I thought maybe I could get one from a wrecked Q5/7 or Cayenne and just swap it out. I would assume the wiring harness is probably the same, just a nicer camera for more "prestigious" models.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Don't know for sure but my guess is that it is the exact same camera that is in our Tregs. I use mine a little but since I'm so damned old I generally default to using the mirrors anyway.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have a 2014 Q7... You don't want this camera! Same crappy camera. Perhaps Cayenne?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I was wondering why the image is so out of focus. Mine is a 2016 and not good. so it's the latest of the run of these cars. I can live with it but it's sub par.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I don't know what you use your reverse camera for, but most of us just use them to avoid backing up into stuff..... if you're using it to document your family trips or something, I guess it would require upgrading.......

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't know what you use your reverse camera for, but most of us just use them to avoid backing up into stuff..... if you're using it to document your family trips or something, I guess it would require upgrading.......

If something can be improved for a few dollars and a few hours of DIY time, why not?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I don't know anything about japanese products, but I'm willing to bet the Lexus , Honda ,Nissan back up cameras don't perform like these. Is it really important ,NO,but why not have it be a proper image.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi everyone...I installed an aftermarket "HD" backup camera on my 2005 T1 hooked to an aftermarket HU and I was impressed with the quality of the picture. So maybe it's worth it to look away from the crappy OEMs and find something online that seems to be a good alternative. The one I bought was specifically for the Touareg and cost about $50.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone...I installed an aftermarket "HD" backup camera on my 2005 T1 hooked to an aftermarket HU and I was impressed with the quality of the picture. So maybe it's worth it to look away from the crappy OEMs and find something online that seems to be a good alternative. The one I bought was specifically for the Touareg and cost about $50.
Got a link to the one you used? The ones I've seen for the Touareg are for 2011+, which I'm assuming is sized different or has a different means of attacehment...

·
Registered
215 Posts
I got mine for my 2005 thats wireless and with a aftermarket headunit. It was through carnaviplayer.com. It works great I bought the parking sensors as well but that has to be installed profesionally. so far I had it for several years with no issues, every now and then I loose the signal for a second but thats the price you pay for the wireless version. I dont have the time or space to do any type of projects escially the city.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts