Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can revert the AWD transfer case back to Porsche specs? I read somewhere that the touareg and the cayenne have the same 4wd system but the vw and Audi have software on them to run at a 50/50 split. I'd like a way to go to 70/30 like the Porsche has. The transfecase is set mechanically to be 70/30 split but somehow the computer forces a 50/50 split. The reason I would like to do this is because I drive a rear wheel drive car in the summer (Porsche 951) and I am used to the rear coming out and not pushing like the touareg does in the snow. A bit of a tail out condition is controllable but i hate understeer. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The torque vectoring is mechanical. You can not change it unless you change the internals of the transfer case.

The touareg is not a sportcar. Its handling is outstanding for a SUV. If you want more sportiness, sell it and buy a cayenne.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am pretty (very) shure that the latest generation Torsen quattro systems have a 40/60 (front/rear) power distribution on all VW and Audi models (with an exception for the R8 which I believe is 20/80). And I also think that goes for the Cayenne, but I might be mistaken there.

For the first generations of Torsen Quattro there might have been a 50/50 split, but that was many years ago (sometimes in the 1990's).

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am pretty (very) shure that the latest generation Torsen quattro systems have a 40/60 (front/rear) power distribution on all VW and Audi models (with an exception for the R8 which I believe is 20/80). And I also think that goes for the Cayenne, but I might be mistaken there. For the first generations of Torsen Quattro there might have been a 50/50 split, but that was many years ago (sometimes in the 1990's).
Correct. All (Q / Tou / Cay) are 60/40 rear bias.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, 40/60 split. But I found somewhere that when they were making the three (q7, touareg, cayanne) that vw and Audi demanded a 50/50 split and Porsche wanted a 40/60 split. They compromised with the ptm controlling the center diff electronically. But now I can't find it.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You might be able to dial out at least some of the understeer by having lower pressures in the rear tires than those in the front.

I'd suggest 4PSI difference would be a starting point but don't go at it like a bull in a china shop - you want progressive oversteer not a sudden snap! - so a little trial and hopefully no error!

So to start I'd leave the fronts as is and reduce the rears to the same pressure and see what you think.

Then up the front 1PSI and drop the rears 1 PSI and try again.

I think if you get to 8PSI difference and it's not happening for you, stop, reset the tires to standard pressures and revert to your plan A.

Oh, and if you kill yourself and/or anyone else you and/or your executors are on your/their own!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try that. I know its not a sports car but in the snow I'd rather have it oversteer than under steer. Easier to control.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'm talking road manners not snow manners!

What tires are on the car?

Are you using Tiptronic to take control of the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bridgestone blizzaks and using just the normal drive selection. I find I can rotate it in the snow if I get on it hard but driving normal it'll push in corners a lot.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
In snow, just like other slippery conditions, you will find the Tiptronic gives you much better control of the car such as slowing down on the gears and not using the brakes for example.

Most people are trying to avoid slides, not induce them!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Touaregs have always had a 50/50 bias, Cayenne 60/40.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I could be totally wrong (I often am, per my wife) but wouldn't the transfer case swap only help if you have middle to end corner understeer? I've never felt that in mine - only understeer on entry. If it's understeer on entry you could try trail braking harder to get weight on the front.

Turning off the ESP lets the rear end out nicely with a bit of throttle input. My 04 V8 will try to understeer on corner entry with the ESP on and a bit of steam built up on snow, sand and gravel. With ESP off that's when I give 'er a bit of boot - slight drift as the rear starts to slide, counter steer, a bit more throttle and she's around the corner.

This is all low speed stuff on snow and/or packed snow with studded snow tires or sand/gravel with summer off-road tires. I've never had the ESP kick in on paved roads with summer tires. Never had it understeer either though in summer. I did have one pucker factor on snow the first winter I had it. Just got to the turn way too fast. Brake to the floor wasn't working on the 3 ton beastie. Got lucky that the snow on the right side of the road was deep enough to add some friction. As soon as both right side tires got in the deep stuff it slowed me enough that I could make the turn.

My old 93 Corrado could understeer though. :) I gave her a bit of extra rear brake bias and a tiny amount of toe out up front. Made all the difference in the world.

Good luck with however you resolve the problem. Let us know what works for you. :)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
or better yet, increase the fronts pressure to match the rears to firm up the ride and cornering and if you slap some spacers your ride will definitely feel so much sportier.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Torsen differentials are 100% mechanical, with no electronics to control the torque adjustment. The differential can sense which axle has more traction, and sends power there if the other is slipping, up to it's pre-set mechanical limits.

My old 2003 4Runner also had a Torsen center differential, I think they still do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Touaregs have always had a 50/50 bias, Cayenne 60/40.
You are talking about the T1 and T2 correct? The T3 is a 60/40 rear/front torque split.

However a good point to note, is that the touareg may only be in 50/50 mode on takeoff and during steady cruising. It is higly possible that putting it into sport mode or even during spirited driving that this does change...however I do not know in which direction. The Grand cherokee srt8 has a track mode which sends 80% power to the rear and it has a regular/snow mode which is 50/50....who is to say the touareg is not capable of that.

On that note, when I have the esp on, I find it nearly impossible to get ANY tail out turns. The ESP is VERY sensitive/over-active which I suppose is a good thing for safety and turning it off allows much more control.

I really do not think you will feel 60/40 vs 50/50, you are better off beefing up your sway bars and getting larger rims with less soft sidewall. My touareg is a V6 and as such comes with the 17", I can feel the effect of the rubber flexing during turns quite obviously. Cannot wait to beef up the suspension.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
According to an article by VW UK the 2015 T4 is 50/50

"The 2015 Touareg features an advanced version of 4MOTION with a 50:50 torque split, a higher off-road suspension, underbody protection, and a fuel tank that holds an additional 15 liters (3.96 gallons). Pricing for the 2015 VW Touareg has not yet been announced for the US." .

·
Registered
160 Posts
According to an article by VW UK the 2015 T4 is 50/50

"The 2015 Touareg features an advanced version of 4MOTION with a 50:50 torque split, a higher off-road suspension, underbody protection, and a fuel tank that holds an additional 15 liters (3.96 gallons). Pricing for the 2015 VW Touareg has not yet been announced for the US." .
I could have sworn I read an article that stated the new touareg with 4motion was 60/40 split. I believe I even read something by NickM on here about it being 60/40 split (could be wrong about the NickM part).

I shall go an do some searching. Oh and I already thought the touareg had a massive gas tank....thats like 30 gallons now, WOW.

EDIT: Here is an article stating exactly what I was saying.

https://shopvw.wordpress.com/2014/02/13/vw-4motion-explained/

and this thread in post number 18 on page 2.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f44/4motion-vs-4xmotion-55764-2.html

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
19 Participants
IamCharlieJudd
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing