Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

Just received my new parking brake/autohold switch. I'll be at my friend's shop this evening and most probably will install it while there. I couldn't find any concrete info whether or not it needs to be coded (I'd assume it does). I also did some research and verified that the ABS unit is the same as it was on 2011 model (with autohold). I was wondering if any of the 2011 owners can PM me with their scan so that I can compare it to mine and recode if necessary.

Thanks an advance.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Canadian 2012's came with auto hold. I find it a huge benefit, in heavy stop and go city traffic!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Will see what I can do, have never saved/transferred a scan before... ;-)
Might be a few days.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Where did you get the new switch?

I'll be interested to see how this goes. I drive in a lot of stop and stop some more traffic and it seems like a nice feature to have if its not too hard to add.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might be a few days.
Much appreciated.

Thanks.

Where did you get the new switch?

I'll be interested to see how this goes. I drive in a lot of stop and stop some more traffic and it seems like a nice feature to have if its not too hard to add.
I ordered it on German ebay. Cost me 17 Euros + 19 Euros for shipping, still much cheaper than getting from a US dealer who wanted $150+ tax.

I'll post a DIY after I'll install it and test it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Keep an eye on ebay, I picked up a new spare auto hold/parking brake switch out of Texas a year or so ago for $10 plush $4.50 shipping....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I thought all 7P Toauregs have autohold but they just got rid of the switch? If Auto hold is how it prevents it from rolling back when up hill (even without using the brake and coasting to a stop) then my '13 TDI Sport has that feature but no switch.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The T1 and T2 hill hold feature is a mechanical property of second gear. The gearbox engages second on an uphill (even though the display shows forst gear) which does not allow the drivetrain to move backwards. Once the ecu works out you have enough power to pull away it drops to first gear and off you go.

I wonder why the T3 dropped this? It is a further development of the Aisin box anyway. Legal laws perhaps? The function may still be there but buried.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
7Ps still have hill hold as standard, however the autohold, when engaged, maintains the ABS pressure to the braking system after the brake pedal has been released. The system pressure is released once the fuel pedal is depressed, or the console switch is disengaged.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Ok boys and girls, it works!

Here is the promised DIY:

First things first. Disclaimer: This mod is for educational purposes only. I am not a VW tech or it's official representative. I am not responsible for any damages or malfunctions. DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. I am simply sharing my findings but can not guarantee it's proper function. You must check with VW to make sure your vehicle's hardware will support this mod. If you do this mod you take full responsibility for ALL and ANY consequences.

Ok, here it goes:

1- remove the trim. I have a trim removal kit that I bought a while back which came in handy on a few occasions including this one.

2- Open an ash tray first. Pry the wood trim open by inserting the thinnest tool in your set between the console and the trim. Push it as deep as you can, then carefully pry it up on both sides (front and back). Pull it forward a 1/2 inch, then lift up.

3- Pull up the gear shifter trim and separate it from the wooden trim then turn and push it under.

4- Disconnect all electrical connectors. Remove the wood trim and flip it over.

5- It took us a minute to figure out how to remove the switch without breaking anything. The switch is held by three clips, two on each sides and one in the back (the stubborn one). The two side clips unclipped fairly easy but the back one needed to be pulled to it's limit to release, be careful not to brake it. As soon as you undo the third (back) clip you can push the switch up and out.

side clips

back (stubborn clip)

6- Push the new switch in. Reconnect all the harnesses. Reassemble the trim and voila, you're done! Yes, you guessed it correctly, no VCDS changes required! This is a truly plug and play mod at least for a 2012 MY. I am not entirely sure if VW kept the same ABS hardware past 2012 MY for an "autohold" to work. Autohold depends on a proper ABS unit to work properly.

You must be buckled up for an autohold to work. Press the button and the switch will light up yellow. When you come to a COMPLETE stop you can release the brake pedal and it should hold (works in forward and reverse). If you unbuckle the "autohold" will disengage and the parking brake will engage. Please educate yourself and get familiar with this feature before trying this on a public road. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Might be a few days.
Luckily this mode does not require VCDS changes but I truly appreciate your offer to help. Thank You!

I thought all 7P Toauregs have autohold but they just got rid of the switch? If Auto hold is how it prevents it from rolling back when up hill (even without using the brake and coasting to a stop) then my '13 TDI Sport has that feature but no switch.
Just like Roalco explained, "Hill Hold" is a standard feature on all Touaregs and if I remember correctly it uses a parking brake to prevent your car from rolling back, where the "autohold" utilizes an ABS to keep your car still, but when/if it overheats it switches to a parking brake for the ABS to cool off.

I am not sure why VW cheaped out on a $20 switch, or was it mostly a safely concern to "safeguard" American soccer moms and some dads from getting into an accident and blaming VW for it?

Ordered one from German Ebay this morning. Paid a little more in shipping than you, but still not bad for an easy little mod.
Great. You'll have it in about 10-12 days.

I've also noticed that if you don't turn off "autohold" before shutting the car off it'll automatically come on at the next start up which I fund useful so I don't have fiddle with it every time I start a car.

All in all I like this little feature. I've tested it last night and this morning in SF traffic and it worked flawlessly. Money well spent in my book!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Glad it worked well, and with no reprogramming! Sorry, I forgot to mention the seat belt interlock operation, and the "on memory". Caused me a couple of confused moment initially too! I pretty much only ever take it off if I want to creep forward or backwards inches at a time, like a tight parallel park, then it's a bit easier to just feather the brake, and let the automatic creep by itself (no throttle). It does take a bit of time to get used to, but it does work slick.

·
Registered
67 Posts
On the way home today and on the ramp to my garage I was playing with it but I must be missing something because it already does everything that is described for autohold but I don't have the switch.

On a long uphill leading up to a stop light I let it coast to a stop and it held itself in position with zero backwards rolling. When the light turned green about 2 minutes later I used the gas to start off again having never touch the brake pedal for the entire sequence.

In the tunnel leading down to the garage (backing in) I stopped on the ramp, put in drive and let off the brake. The mechanical parking brake never applied (based off sound) and the brake pedal was soft. I waited like this for 3 minutes, then applied the parking brake via the switch and definitely heard the electric motors, then released them, and it still held with the pedal soft. I didn't try the seat belt thing.

In the past it's done all this when down hill in reverse also.

If all this is normal for "hill hold" what more does "autohold" add?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Hill Assist" will not let your car roll back, "Autohold" will hold your car still in any situation (flat, uphill, downhill, etc...). Let's say you're in stop and go traffic on a flat road or going downdhill, when you come to a complete stop and if you have "autohold" you can let go of brake pedal and the car won't move, where if you don't have that feature your car will start creeping forward. It's like having an invisible foot holding your brake pedal when you don't.

From VW:

Autohold:

The Volkswagen Auto Hold function is an extension of the electronic parking brake. The Auto Hold function prevents the vehicle from rolling away accidentally when standing still or setting off, without the driver having to keep his foot on the brake pedal. In this way Auto Hold offers the ultimate in comfort and convenience when driving or setting off, along with enhanced safety.
The system is operated via the ABS/ESP hydraulic unit. When the vehicle is braked to a standstill, Auto Hold retains the last-applied braking pressure. The driver can take his foot off the brake pedal and all four wheel brakes stay on. If the ABS wheel speed sensors detect any rolling, the braking force is automatically increased until the car comes to a standstill again. This may be the case if, for example, the driver brakes gently to a stop on an incline. As soon as the driver presses the accelerator again and, in the case of manual gearboxes, releases the clutch, Auto Hold releases the brakes again.
For safety reasons, the function always has to be reactivated by means of a button to the left of the gear lever.

Hill assist:

The hill start assist governs the starting torque when pulling away on an uphill incline and interacts with the hydraulic brake assist and the transmission control to prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards by applying the brakes. This makes controlling the vehicle during hill starts simple and convenient for the driver. So there is no need to worry about the vehicle rolling backwards or the engine stalling.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, I will be watching ebay.de for a new switch.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually you can just plug this part# 7P1927225A into a US ebay and you'll get a bunch of them from German ebay and other places that ship to US.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Very nice, I've ordered the switch. Maybe I missed it but does the switch plug into an existing harness?

1 - 20 of 175 Posts