Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a couple of similar threads but couldn't find one quite like my problem.
Summary: Tranny works in R but not in D, S or tip mode

04 v6 auto with 120k

Car drove fine for about 10 minutes on highway when revs shot to redline like it was in neutral but still indicated D and 5th gear. There was no thud or anything like that. Pulled over and it wouldn't go lower than 3rd and engine speed still ineffective. Tried tiptronic and it will indicate 1 then without doing anything goes to 2 then 3 but no motion.
While stopped moved from D to P back to P, felt a light (as in normal) thud as the tranny engaged, but no movement. Can feel the tranny as it shifts through gears while sitting stopped at the side of the road from 1 to 2 to 3. Always seems to stop at 3.
Regardless I get no forward motion anymore.

HOWEVER, if i put it in reverse it acts normal, as in it goes backwards (yay, i think?). SO that eliminates a broken CV joint or Driveshaft, and transmission fluid is probably fine.

One thought, it's been having more dead battery issues lately (needing to get jump started about once every two weeks). I'm wondering if this might be an electrical issue (could the jump starting or dead battery cause issues or even damage to the transmission computer module?)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I don't know if this is your issue but here goes anyway.

Underneath the slider panel that surrounds the gear lever there are either one or two magnets (can't remember number) that actually operate the gear selection.

These have been known to come unstuck and cause loss of gear selection.

There are threads on here about it.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
725 Posts
One thought, it's been having more dead battery issues lately (needing to get jump started about once every two weeks). I'm wondering if this might be an electrical issue (could the jump starting or dead battery cause issues or even damage to the transmission computer module?)
Sounds like a new battery is in order...

I bought a 2004 and drove it home (about 1000 miles) and after about an hour everything went crazy. Transmission problems etc.. looked under the seat and a battery that was half the size of the required battery was installed by the used car lot... replaced the battery and the problems were gone.

Don’t know if it will help you or not but it sounds like it is needed anyway?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next day update:
put on battery charger all night, started up fine, engaged D and drove it on to flat bed truck.
Took it to 3rd party vw mechanic, had it all day...
installed new battery, reset "everything" through his fancy OBD2 computer thing and seems to be running like a charm.
B+ alternator cable seems fine so he suspects it's a factory nav/radio issue? He says if the abttery drain issue continues to pull the fuse for the radio, but then we don't get cruisin tunes.

Now for my other car with a failed tranny - if anyone has any helpful hints on how to separate a driveshaft from transmission output shaft (bolts removed, shaft won't come out of the "cup" that it sits in, no edge to hammer on, soaking two weeks with penetrating oil - audi b7 a4)(not loving german cars presently...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts