Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner to the Treg having got myself a 2014 180 V6 TDi with 4XMOTION. I'm really happy with it.

My previous towing of my caravan (~2700kg) with my previous to VW, Range Rover, my service guy recommended I keep the gear selector in the "S" mode which inhibits the 6th gear (top gear in that car) and lock up from engaging when towing heavy loads to keep rotational speed up and hence torque value down for any power value being transmitted.

Is there any particular forum recommendation for the Touareg when towing heavy trailers/caravans or just use "D" and let the car do the rest?

I am away from home at the moment and having only recently purchased the car, I've not had a chance to review the owners manual yet on this topic.

Thanks for any tips you all may have.

Regards

Pete.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
I run D mode when accelerating to my cruising speed with the van (Crusader 23'6") and at 95km/h happy to go to cruise control. In the wet...NO CRUISE CONTROL. And on downhill runs and coming to a planned stop, I slide the selector to M and allow the engine to assist the braking exercise.

In undulating roads, I knock the cruise control off and just use the right foot to keep her chugging along.

When going uphill, and I detect a line of cars behind me, I knock the cruise control off, otherwise, they will never get around me (the Touareg will happily pull the big van at any speed on any incline).

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I tow in S in town
I tow in D on open road

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips Steve and Pikanini.

That's a big van you have Steve.

Might see you around somewhere in WA.

Regards

PEte.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If your truck has the factory trailer lighting controller it tells the transmission computer when a trailer is attached, and it will change its shift program accordingly. Use whatever gear range you find works best. If the trans is shifting too soon in D, go to S. On our T1 the S range doesn't lock out 6th, it just delays its engagement till 60 mph or so.

-J

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've run all my automatics is "D" when towing - it changes down itself with the extra load - my Touareg is the first car I've had with enough power to even get into top gear towing !

·
Registered
22 Posts
I may be looking at this the wrong way, but, would it be better to tow in M and shift at higher rpms for more engine control and faster torque converter lockup? I haven't put a hitch on my touareg yet to experiment with this and the only automatic I have heavy towing experience with is my duramax/allison. The tow/haul mode on the allison raises shift points and locks the converter in each gear. The allison also has a lot of support for upgrades and is easy to rebuild or swap in a manual zf6, I have a lot to learn about this aisin before I put it to work, lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I may be looking at this the wrong way, but, would it be better to tow in M and shift at higher rpms for more engine control and faster torque converter lockup? I haven't put a hitch on my touareg yet to experiment with this and the only automatic I have heavy towing experience with is my duramax/allison. The tow/haul mode on the allison raises shift points and locks the converter in each gear. The allison also has a lot of support for upgrades and is easy to rebuild or swap in a manual zf6, I have a lot to learn about this aisin before I put it to work, lol.
What you describe and the reasons for it are how I've always understood towing should be carried out. Slipping converters and transmissions make heat and heat kills transmissions and converters. Earlier lock up and not slipping the converter due to too high a gear ratio and too low an engine rpm is the way to go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I probably ask more of my vehicles than most but I could not tow comfortably with a diesel, especially a VW, without a way to constantly monitor EGTs. Or an automatic without monitoring transmission fluid temperature. I would be worried about it the entire time.
I love my VW TDIs but they are not the most efficient engines (EGTs climb fast under load), just the most available diesels here in the US. ROW gets way better options. Keeping RPMs up helps manage EGTs but there is only so much 2 valves per cylinder can do and cats or dpfs make it worse.

·
Registered
790 Posts
(EGTs climb fast under load)
That can be turned round to remove the detrimental implication - "EGTs drop rapidly under light loads" - it's a feature of diesels running unthrottled turbo-boosted air and controlling power output by varying the fuel injection quantity and boost pressure - the excess air cools everything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That can be turned round to remove the detrimental implication - "EGTs drop rapidly under light loads" - it's a feature of diesels running unthrottled turbo-boosted air and controlling power output by varying the fuel injection quantity and boost pressure - the excess air cools everything.

Indeed. I should have been more specific. I meant compared to other more modern diesel engines, my ALH, BHW, and 1.6td powered vehicles see higher EGTs under much less load and faster than Dmax or CTD. I imagine the BKW is similar to BHW but I don't have a gauge on it to know for sure. "excess air cools everything" is a good point and the reason why higher RPMs when towing help keep EGTs down. I am no expert, just speaking from my own experience. "EGTs drop rapidly under light loads" is also a good point but you have to climb the hill before you can go down it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts