Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
View attachment 238332

Dragged this mobile apartment down to Busselton today from Perth. Pretty flat country.....sat on 92-93kph. Returned just over 15l/100kph.

So effortless.....and that air suspension OMG.

One happy camper ;)

Footnote re Cruise Control. Talking with Crispy today on the phone and he asked me if Cruise was activated. I admitted it was, and I also want to correct what I wrote earlier. Open country, flat roads etc, yep - ACC FTW. Stop/start, hills (up/down) I usually go to manual/tiptronic. I do this to give the brakes an easier time in the city etc. Using the ACC today sure made life easier.
Oh...and the 4500kg McHitch was definitely worth the investment.
Good stuff Steve. It definitely looks nice and level. There is noting like air suspension looking after your level for you without having to think about it.

I love the air suspension.

Pete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: IBrad and Steve_L

·
Registered
22 Posts
just as an aside Pete, weight of your vehicle will be close to max depending on towball load.
at 240kg towball load, I can't carry two passengers unless they are kids, and then nothing else in the car.
this is my load sheet I use whenever I hook the boat up. I have access to a weighbridge so the numbers are real.
Towing Information R50
Gross Vehicle Mass
3200​
kg
VW Touareg R50 Kerb Weight
2592.0​
kg
Full Fuel 100L @ 0.874SG
87.4​
kg
Towbar & roofracks
35.0​
kg
Driver
80.0​
kg
Passenger 1
65.0​
kg
Passenger 2
0.0​
kg
Passenger 3
0.0​
kg
Passenger 4
0.0​
kg
Tow ball Load. Max 350kg
240.0​
kg
Suitcase 1
15.0​
kg
Suitcase 2
22.0​
kg
Fishing Gear
0.0​
kg
Waeco Drink cooler. With drinks
7.0​
kg
Other Luggage. tools. Jack
15.0​
kg
Other Luggage. O.nite bag
5.0​
kg
Total Vehicle Weight
3163.4​
kg
Available Load Capacity
36.6​
kg
Boat.
Trailer + Spare trailer wheel
750​
kg
Boat. No Fuel or Water
2536​
kg
Total Boat & Trailer
3286​
kg
Trailer ATM
3500​
kg
Fuel On Board. <25%
50​
L
Water On Board
0​
L
Other Luggage
37​
kg
Waeco 12v Fridge. Empty
22​
kg
Fishing Gear
9​
Fuel @ 0.72kg / L
36​
kg
Water
20​
kg
Spare Car Wheel
36​
kg
Aggregate Trailer Mass.
3446​
kg
Less tow ball load. Max 350kg
240​
kg
Gross Trailer Mass.
3206​
kg
Max Towing Capacity Braked
3500​
kg
Available Load Capacity
54.0​
kg
Allowable Gross Combination Mass
6700​
kg
Calculated GCM
6369.4​
kg

That’s impressive IBrad, well done.

But the way I read the regs, the GCM is the Total Vehicle weight (3163.4kg including the towball weight, as you have it) plus the total trailer weight (3446kg, suprisingly also including the towball weight)
So your GCM would be 6609kg.
See for example https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driving/driving/towing/trailer-and-tow-vehicle-specifications

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Yes, the GCM must include all mass sitting on vehicle and trailer wheels.
Seeing Ian has included the towball weigh in the vehicle's GVM, it comes off the trailer GVM for sake of the calculation, so the shown GCM is correct.

TonyB

Reactions: IBrad

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, the GCM must include all mass sitting on vehicle and trailer wheels.
Seeing Ian has included the towball weigh in the vehicle's GVM, it comes off the trailer GVM for sake of the calculation, so the shown GCM is correct.

TonyB
Thanks TonyB.
But that’s what I find confusing. The way I read the regs is that the towball weight is actually counted twice. If it wasn’t we could load a 3.5T trailer to 3.8T with a 300kg towball weight. And I don’t think that’s allowed.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,007 Posts
you only count the ball weight once.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Obviously the gross mass only includes the towball weight once.
I know it sounds crazy, but I think the regs count it twice (as per the link to RACQ).

So think about it this way.
How could IBrad get to his max GCM?
He can’t put another 300kg on the trailer.

It’s probably a non-issue for Touaregs and other vehicles that can carry and tow max payload without exceeding GCM. But it’s a real issue for many dual cabs with a max ~6T GCM. In practice they can only tow 3.5T if there is nothing in the tow vehicle.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi Hughsie

Tony has nailed it.
The towball weight is only included once.
When I weigh on a split weighbridge, the 1st picture is what I see if I separate the trailer and treg. AGM and GTM are the same.
The 2nd picture is what I see when I weigh them connected.
The 240kg transfers from the trailer to the towball so the gross trailer mass reduces by 240kg and the treg increases by 240kg.
You are correct, I can never reach the GCM of 6700kg.
My main limitation is the boat trailer which is only rated to 3500kg total mass.
If it was 3700kg I could put another 200kg in the boat without exceeding GCM as long as the towball weight did'nt increase more than a few kgs.
Ian

41 - 47 of 47 Posts