Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, heading off on a long tour up north in the state (WA). I was wondering if there is any particular advice about the auto trans setting when towing a heavy caravan. R50 with 4 on board, Engel in rear, 2.8T loaded weight caravan on back so around 5600 kg all up. Is it fine to just leave in “D” the whole way or “S” or in Manual and manage the gear selection for it. In my previous petrol Range Rover S/C, the service guy recommended holding it in “S” to prevent it going into 6th gear and labour the engine.

Any advice from you guys on this topic?

Pete.

View attachment 238252

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,969 Posts
Hi Peter,
First of all, apologies for not responding to your SMS. Good outcome with that job mate.
Re: Transmission selection when towing.
Metro/Traffic (stop/start) - I choose manual selection to assist in braking etc, by downshifting manually.
Open road: Generally leave it in D and cruise control if weather is fine. If the road is wet - NO CRUISE CONTROL. If you aquaplane, you don't need a constant throttle working away when you have lost traction.
Hills etc: No Cruise Control (hey, give the buggers lined up behind you half a chance to get around you... LOL). I use manual shift to keep the RPMs up and then conversely, to try and assist (to a degree) the braking on the downhill side.

Reactions: Crispy3

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yup, just leave it in 'D'. Your vehicle is smarter than a Range Rover. Also, Diesels are efficient when they lug.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
899 Posts
Yup, just leave it in 'D'. Your vehicle is smarter than a Range Rover. Also, Diesels are efficient when they lug.
I think the ZF transmission in a Range Rover is also smarter than some think - there's no need to select "S" to avoid labouring, it won't use gears if they're labouring anyway.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Agreed. I think the whole US Domestic Tow/Haul mode advertising convinced people they needed to do 'something' to tow a trailer. Any modern tranny with electronic controls is going to be pretty smart- I was probably too tongue in cheek there.
Just got back from a 3,500 mile round trip pulling a trailer. Absolutely faultless- ACC on, tranny in D and always had the right gear. A little weird going up some pretty good long slopes in 8th at 1800RPM, but it seemed to be very happy doing it. Good tranny shifting and engine braking coming back down, ACC held speed dead on going up and coming down.
Let the vehicle do the work. Alot of thought went into making it an incredibly good tow vehicle.
I think the ZF transmission in a Range Rover is also smarter than some think - there's no need to select "S" to avoid labouring, it won't use gears if they're labouring anyway.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feedback guys, will sit it in D and let the car do the rest.

Pete.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,969 Posts
We'd (almost) make a set of twins ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking good there Steve, when Sensitive Cecil chimes in with his 2020 CR, could be triplets!

Pete

Reactions: Steve_L

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HI RocketTech, on the rear that's two spares (one for caravan, other for R50) and the plastic tube is a storage pipe for fishing rods (if I'm feeling optimistic) but currently I have a collapsible ladder in there. It's got a lockable end plate on the far side to slide stuff in there.

Pete.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I'll have 9 or so hours to familiarise myself with Crispy3s spare wheel set up as I follow him in this on Saturday. I think I'll be making the most of the adaptive cruise control. I'll be leaving it in D but may have a play with the flappy paddles if I get bored between seat massage session. I tried it in Sport mode when I took the caravan for a test run but unlike my previous car it held the gears too long before upshifting.
Speaking of my previous car, the Range Rover HSE is a wonderful tow vehicle and the GM gearbox only had to be rebuilt 3 times in 8 years and it was surprisingly economical using very little diesel on the back of the tow truck when it blew a tiny little seal in the Bosch high pressure fuel pump on a recent trip. I think it has a Brexit issue as a German engine with a French built American gearbox in one of Her Britannic Majesties finest vehicles does not always work in harmony which is a pity.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,969 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hi Peter,
First of all, apologies for not responding to your SMS. Good outcome with that job mate.
Re: Transmission selection when towing.
Metro/Traffic (stop/start) - I choose manual selection to assist in braking etc, by downshifting manually.
Open road: Generally leave it in D and cruise control if weather is fine. If the road is wet - NO CRUISE CONTROL. If you aquaplane, you don't need a constant throttle working away when you have lost traction.
Hills etc: No Cruise Control (hey, give the buggers lined up behind you half a chance to get around you... LOL). I use manual shift to keep the RPMs up and then conversely, to try and assist (to a degree) the braking on the downhill side.

I'm not disagreeing that you should disable cruise-control when raining/snowing etc, BUT, if the Touareg detects slip while in cruise control I think it automatically disables cruise control and starts hitting stability control to keep it straight

OP - definitely just leave it in drive and let the tow map do its job. I've not one single bitch about the tow map in my Touareg. Its absolutely spot-on perfect

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,969 Posts
I'm not disagreeing that you should disable cruise-control when raining/snowing etc, BUT, if the Touareg detects slip while in cruise control I think it automatically disables cruise control and starts hitting stability control to keep it straight

OP - definitely just leave it in drive and let the tow map do its job. I've not one single bitch about the tow map in my Touareg. Its absolutely spot-on perfect
Ive never heard or read anywhere that the car would disengage the cruise control.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ive never heard or read anywhere that the car would disengage the cruise control.
Well, I cannot speak for the Touareg 100%... as I've never had a single incident with it hydroplaning in summer.. but my same year Tiguan has done it several times (disengage cruise control and activate stability control). Since the Touareg cost so much more and is so much more advanced I could only assume it would follow the same behavior.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts