Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Adventure with Innovision package
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I had a towpack fitted to my 2020 Adventure today and when I asked the workshop foreman whether he would reposition the auto open sensor he told me that they were fixed and not able to be re-positioned.
It appears this has been disabled.
I have read threads here that say they can be re-positioned and don't need to be disabled but these are for earlier models.
Does anyone know what applies to the 2020 CR?
Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi
I had a towpack fitted to my 2020 Adventure today and when I asked the workshop foreman whether he would reposition the auto open sensor he told me that they were fixed and not able to be re-positioned.
It appears this has been disabled.
I have read threads here that say they can be re-positioned and don't need to be disabled but these are for earlier models.
Does anyone know what applies to the 2020 CR?
Thanks
Tony
I have a 2019 launch edition which had its sensor restored after factory fitting towbar. They said they moved it to the right.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Why does "Let's do the hokey cokey" spring to mind?!!

Given the Touareg's towing capability one would have thought VW would have issued a TSB to deal with this rather than just disabling a feature...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 2019 launch edition which had its sensor restored after factory fitting towbar. They said they moved it to the right.
Wow that’s good to know that it can be done but bad to know that most be dealerships don’t know about it.
Anyone had a tow bar fitted in Sydney on a 2020 CR Premium and the auto opening still works?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have installed an OEM towbar myself to my Launch Edition and did not move the sensors on the bumper cover at all
Kick open still works as before, so I feel dealers are telling stories..................??

Reactions: Steve_L

·
Registered
789 Posts
My auto open (2014 - USA) would always disable whenever I had a trailer connected. I assume this was so the hatch wouldn't hit the trailer? My 2017 Q7 doesn't do this though - it works whether something is connected or not. Thankfully, the hatch clears everything I tow.

When I didn't have a trailer connected, I had to stick my foot underneath, pause for a half second, then pull my foot out to get it to open. It was a factory installed hitch/towbar.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
You can re-enable it with VCDS if you want it to still function with the trailer connected. It's in the coding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2019 Launch edition when I had the factory tow bar installed. After a few trips back to the dealer in Melbourne they claimed they had to install updated software to allow for the bar. Not sure if it's true but it now works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have 2020 CR with tow pack fitted by VW in Adelaide, they had to source an updated harness to allow the auto tailgate to operate.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi, I have 2020 CR with tow pack fitted by VW in Adelaide, they had to source an updated harness to allow the auto tailgate to operate.
So many different “solutions” coming from the dealerships. Some shift the sensor to the right. Some change the settings, some instal new software, some put updated harness. Curiou.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I haven't checked this myself yet... but which actual sensor is it? I believe it is under the rear bumper area as I just had my towbar installed and have the same issue... I am guessing that the oem VW towbar covers (or partially covers) the sensor as when I was under the rear of the car, it activated by itself so-to-speak... but not with the 10 attempts with the proper foot sweep (which worked perfectly before the towbar install). Also the 7P used to disable the tailgate electric opening when a trailer was connected to the plug, the CR from what I read and understand disables only the auto features and drivers side switch/button - you can still open with the electric assist my using the main back tailgate (above number plate) switch/button.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Anyone had a tow bar fitted in Sydney on a 2020 CR Premium and the auto opening still works?
Hi Matt
Had a Tow Bar fitted to my MY21 V8 today. The auto opening still works and they didn’t move any sensors. I haven’t plugged the Van into it yet to check the other stuff.
Sydney City Volkswagen. Senior Service advisor, Justin Cavanagh seems to know what he’s talking about and they have now fitted a number of tow bars to our CR models. He was aware of some of the previous issues re Treg’s and trailer wiring. Once I have checked the trailer I will write up a new thread including all the fitting instructions.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thanks mate. Did you get a brake controller installed as well?
No, I didn’t. I hadn’t even asked as previous experience I have had dealers I have asked are not willing to do it. I’ll send you a PM.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts