Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an '09 TDI on March 1st. On the way home (2 hour drive) a check engine light came on and a little further down the road the AdBlue warning came on.

The AdBlue light didn't come on the next day and when I went to top off the tank it was already full. I pulled the codes and they were related to SCR efficiency being below norm. I cleared the codes.

A few days later when my fiancé was driving home on her 50 mile commute the DPF warning light came on. It turned off further in the drive.

Since then the SCR code hasn't come back, the AdBlue warning has disappeared, and the DPF seems fine. One of the TPMS sensors also seemed to be flaky, but that has also rectified itself.

Other than the TPMS, my best guess is that car was driven on a lot of short test drives after it's emission modifications done in early December and it loaded up the DPF.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Add your theory to this one and you get a cranky car.

Possibly a lot of short trips that left the battery not fully charged?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I meant to get to the battery over the weekend and check the connections and maybe even throw it on the charger overnight just to rule that out. I forgot the other symptom that happened last week, the fiancé was driving on cruise control and heard wind noise and checked to see if the window was closed all the way. When she pulled up on the window switch the car dropped out of cruise and said cruise unavailable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And all this while I try to convince her that it's reliable, since we traded in her troublesome Chrysler van for it.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
A good battery is your best friend. A tired battery will cause all sorts of grief.

I always hook my ctek charger at the posts under the hood. I have not had a problem doing that yet. No need to move the seat. The only time the seats have to be moved is when installing a new battery.

If you have VCDS, are you seeing any low voltage errors being reported from any modules? These low voltage faults usually happen while the engine is cranking. If so, I recommend just putting in a new battery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still need to upgrade my old vag-com cable to something from the last decade. I have the serial (DB9) version from way back that I used to diagnose my '96 TDI and my parents '02 TDI. It's not CAN-BUS compatible.

on the to do list.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Take the car out for an Italian tune up and give it a good thrashing up and down the gears using Tiptronic for 30 or 40 miles .

That should clear things out and charge the battery properly too

Hopefully you have read the buying g a used Touareg thread - link in my signature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts